LED Mask Help?

Hey guys I'm new to working with LEDs but I randomly decided this would be my halloween costume. Please help me electronics or otherwise on what I would need to pull this off down to the amount of LEDs and stuff like that I would need. If you have the time some instructions or a diagram would be great. And(for lack of a better term) please put your responses in "dumbed-down" talk. Thanks.

PS If you dont think arduino would work well but you have other ideas let me know.

I removed your post from LEDs and Multiplexing. On this forum, cross-posting is counter productive. If you feel your thread is not getting a good response here let a moderator know and they will move it to another section.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=269991.msg1902967#msg1902967 date=1412126875]

I removed your post from LEDs and Multiplexing. On this forum, cross-posting is counter productive. If you feel your thread is not getting a good response here let a moderator know and they will move it to another section.

[/quote] OK Thanks

the amount of LEDs and stuff

Its totally dependent on how you want this to look

If you look at the photos, and want to completely copy what they have

Work out which groups of LED's are turned on and off in each picture

e.g as far as I can see each eye has 3 strips of LED's, two at angles and one vertically down

The mouth appears to be 1 long horizontal strip and 2 individual leds at each corner of the mouth (which appear to come on at the same time)

i.e with the mouth you can make a flat shape or a sort of smile

You may want to add different LEDS to make a sad face mouth

Once you have mapped out all the facial expressions you want, and know how many groups of LEDS you need and how many LEDs in each group, you can then plan the hardware you need

I suspect a Uno would have enough outputs, but you will need LED drivers e.g. a FET for each group as the Arduino can only power one LED per output line

rogerClark:

the amount of LEDs and stuff

Its totally dependent on how you want this to look

If you look at the photos, and want to completely copy what they have

Work out which groups of LED's are turned on and off in each picture

e.g as far as I can see each eye has 3 strips of LED's, two at angles and one vertically down

The mouth appears to be 1 long horizontal strip and 2 individual leds at each corner of the mouth (which appear to come on at the same time)

i.e with the mouth you can make a flat shape or a sort of smile

You may want to add different LEDS to make a sad face mouth

Once you have mapped out all the facial expressions you want, and know how many groups of LEDS you need and how many LEDs in each group, you can then plan the hardware you need

I suspect a Uno would have enough outputs, but you will need LED drivers e.g. a FET for each group as the Arduino can only power one LED per output line

What is a FET and can I get a link? The problem is one group wont be completely on at once. I plan to have 52 LEDs.

FET

See ebay etc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xarduino+fet+module&_nkw=arduino+fet+module&_sacat=0

Its a device that amplifies the current (power) from the Arduino (well in basic terms)

You need 1 output from the Arduino per group and 1 FET (or other amplifier etc per group)

How many groups do you have ?

I think from memory the Uno can output on 17 lines excluding the serial comms lines

rogerClark: FET

See ebay etc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xarduino+fet+module&_nkw=arduino+fet+module&_sacat=0

Its a device that amplifies the current (power) from the Arduino (well in basic terms)

You need 1 output from the Arduino per group and 1 FET (or other amplifier etc per group)

How many groups do you have ?

I think from memory the Uno can output on 17 lines excluding the serial comms lines

The two eyes and a mouth. But I need to find away to select each individual LED to be on or off to make the designs dont I?

Also here are the original designs but they are in Korean. http://blog.naver.com/inter_mask

Nice site

Plenty of information even if you don't speak Korean (I don't)

I really dont understand. is each one of the sticks in the eye needing an individual FET?

Yes, each point of light (however many LEDs make up that area/strip) will need a MOSFET... Think of it like a relay or light switch. Think of each eye like a grid; You'll need code that turns on each facial expression accordingly, which if each eye consists of 3 strips that could possibly be lit up at any time (assuming the same for the mouth), will be 9 outputs to control each time you change the displayed facial expression. In this case, you'll need 9 MOSFETs.

However, you could kinda cheat and (assuming your eyes will always be mirrors of one another) use 3 MOSFETs to drive 6 strips, then alter your code to update a singular eye. It would limit your range of expressions a bit, but it will cut down on cost and wiring, if that is a concern.

You could trade money for knowledge. For example, adafruit sells NeoPixels (individually addressable full color LEDs)... http://www.adafruit.com/category/168