LED matrix display - MD_Parola, MD_MAX72xx and MD_MAXPanel

Thank you Pedro, and all the best to you and yours!
Big snow storm coming in tomorrow, 8-10-12 inchese expected.
So, teach fencing class in the morning, snowblowing in the afternoon!

Hello
I am new to dotmatrix and arduino I love your libery but have a problem I use the one (picture)
So when I connect 2 unites it the text scrolls text to each other is it possible to rotate the direction of text!

Thank you in advance!

Download the latest MD_Max72xx library and read the documentation. There is now a library switch that allows the use of these more common displays. You need to change it before compiling the code.

Hello First thank you for fast reply! :) bu I canot find this V2 on http://parola.codeplex.com/ can you pleas give me the link!

maki007: Hello First thank you for fast reply! :) bu I canot find this V2 on http://parola.codeplex.com/ can you pleas give me the link!

Try this link for the MD_MAXxx library:

http://arduinocode.codeplex.com/downloads/get/761587

Mel

can you pleas give me the link!

Also in my signature block.

Hello Thank you bought! I made it work and I am relay grateful! :)

One more question! Is it possible to have special characters ? Š ? Ž ?

you can define your own character if you want. The current character set does not have your characters.

You need to modify the data file where the font is located (it will have FONT in the name) and replace one of the existing characters with your own. The documentation tells you a bit about the character set definition and if you map out the current data as bits (convert from hex) you should be able to work it out.

marco_c:

can you pleas give me the link!

Also in my signature block.

The signature block points to code.Google, however the code now sits are codeplex....time to update the signature link?...:-)

Mel

Yes I totally agree! And I have done so 30 times already but it keeps changing back.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=202429.0

The best I can do is a redirect. It is needed anyway because the site has been referenced in a few places outside my control.

marco_c: Yes I totally agree! And I have done so 30 times already but it keeps changing back.

The best I can do is a redirect. It is needed anyway because the site has been referenced in a few places outside my control.

Don't you just HATE it when that happens...ROFLOL

Mel

marco_c: Yes I totally agree! And I have done so 30 times already but it keeps changing back.

Apparently a side effect of some peculiar "anti-spam" policy which has been enforced none too skilfully.

i'm thinking of using parola for a 50-unit display. how do i approach the power requirements?

and which is the library containing the font data, as I will need to amend it?

thanks

The power requirements depend on how many LED elements are on at once once, but you should use 200mA per unit as an approximate calculation. You could measure the current of a unit will display full-on using a multiumeter.

I would also not just inject the power at one end of the chain as this will probably cause you problems because of the long run (resistance = voltage drop). You will need to have multiple points where power is applied along the chain. You may also want to consider soldering the units together rather than plugging them in to reduce the resistance of the joints.

Fonts are in the MD_MAX72XX font file. Read the documentation to understand how the font is encoded.

I am planning an upgrade to the Parola and MD_MAX72xx libraries.

I will be working on the following: - Additional animation that makes the displayed text scan before it appears. The text will be in place but shown one line or one column at a time before finally being shown. - Allow for different zones in the display that effectively turns the display into multiple displays. Allows for different animations in the different zones - for example, a clock display 'always on' in one part and a scrolling text message in a second part.

Does anyone have any issues or suggestions for improvements and/or new features?

marco_c:
I am planning an upgrade to the Parola and MD_MAX72xx libraries.

Does anyone have any issues or suggestions for improvements and/or new features?

I can only think of two Iā€™d like to see.

The first would be multiple lines of Parola displays where each line is independent of the other.

With the addition of your individual zone theme, the second would be custom character creation like one can do for LCD displays.

Mel

The first would be multiple lines of Parola displays where each line is independent of the other.

I think you can do this as is. I had some code I was playing with to do this, but did not include it in the last release. It is, however, in the codeplex source repository. Maybe have a look at that example and see if it does 'sort of' what you are looking for. From memory it was never really finished, just used as a proof of concept.

Are you planning much of a revision to the module PCB at this time?

Geoff

Software only. I was not planning to revisit the hardware.

marco_c: I would also not just inject the power at one end of the chain as this will probably cause you problems because of the long run (resistance = voltage drop). You will need to have multiple points where power is applied along the chain. You may also want to consider soldering the units together rather than plugging them in to reduce the resistance of the joints.

Methinks this may be at least as much a cause of the apparent limitation some people find with longer chains (such as more than 8 modules - and I am thinking of the the eBay ones) as driving the clock and latch lines.