LED Mini Fridge

Hey,

I'm looking to start a project, but am a bit of an Electronics Noob so would like to get a bit of advice before I set off and inevitably blow myself up.

I have a Husky Mini fridge that is connected to the mains (UK 240v). It has a very very dim lamp at the top of the fridge which provides basically no additional light whatsoever, especially when the fridge is full with yummy yummy beverages.

The plan is to setup an Arduino with LED's on the inside of the fridge, or inside of the fridge door. It'd be great if I could make this into a self contained system that runs off the same power as the fridge so I don't have to worry about always having an extra plug / power source available. The internal light bulb runs directly off 240v AC. I know there are LED strips that can deal with that voltage, but the issue is running the Arduino off the same power source.

Would it be better to convert the 240v down to hobby LED territory (12v?) and can an Arduino then run off that power, or does it need to be stepped down again? Can that be done with a resistor on the Arduino board?
Or is it best to use the higher voltage LED's and run get a 240v to 5v converter for the Arduino.

And finally how easy would it be to "waterproof" that enclosure, the LED's don't seem to be a problem, but my wiring/soldering and the Arduino itself would ideally all live inside the fridge.

Drop that project, or change it. Use a torch light instead. Playing with mains in a rather wet area like a fridge is really dangerous.

If your fridge is not opened a lot, why not use a small rechrgeable battery pack? LED’s are very efficient, and you might get as much as a month of use. IOf the battery pack is in the fridge, it will deliver somewhat less current than in a warmer place, so check that out when determining the size of battery you need.

jrdoner

What on earth does this have to do with an Arduino? :astonished:

12 V LED strips, a 12 V "plug pack" in the power point. :roll_eyes:

@Paul__B
Maybe a micro switch can be read by an Arduino that via a power transistor turns on the LED? Never give up!

@Paul__B

Agreed most of the questions are around voltages, etc but I specifically put this in Project Guidance rather than anywhere else in the hope it would get some eyes of the more electronics focused people rather than the coders.

@jrdoner

Do you have any suggestions that would run an Arduino + roughly 360 RGBW LED’s?

360 RGBW LEDs, depending on color, could be drawing a lot of current.
Take a look at something like this to start

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/clearance-led-strip-and-tape-lights/outdoor-rgbw-led-strip-lights-weatherproof-12v-led-tape-light-w-white-and-multicolor-leds-245-lumensft/1711/4877/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_N7puJOV6QIVS-G1Ch0CMwziEAQYBCABEgKi2PD_BwE

(forum adds some extra characters to start & end, just delete them)

I believe the whole strip turns the same color based on what the controller selects.
You could replace the controller with an Arduino controlling 4 N-channel MOSFETs.
Connect +12 to the strips, and PWM control the MOSFETs to determine brightness/color mix of the strip.