LED Mood Lighting

Hi all!

Is there a way for a Arduino (probably a mega) to control and light up several LED strips, one after another, dimming out slowly.

1st to light, slowly dims away as the second strip lights up

2nd, same thing

then 3rd and so forth

like this^^

The LED strip used has 120 LEDs per meter, the 3528 kind. max 9.6 watts per meter, it uses 12 V DC as its power source. its a normal warm white so there isn't any color changing stuff needed.

11 led strips of length 70 cm × 2 sets

30 led of length 50 cm × 2 sets

I am aware of that I'll need a chip like a PCA9685 to ensure i have enough PWM outputs, as well as MOSFET transistors to allow the dimming and lighting of the led strips.

Would usage of a PCA9685 chip require extra coding? Does anyone here have a idea on which kinda MOSFET chip i should use? I'm quite new at this so I'll appreciate all the help i can get!

So please do give me your suggestions on how a beginner like me could do this!!

Thanks in advance people!

Would usage of a PCA9685 chip require extra coding?

Yes but not much.

Does anyone here have a idea on which kinda MOSFET chip i should use?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/355

Thanks a lot! ill look into those things!

jovlaw: Hi all!

Is there a way for a Arduino (probably a mega) to control and light up several LED strips, one after another, dimming out slowly.

1st to light, slowly dims away as the second strip lights up

2nd, same thing

then 3rd and so forth

like this^^

The LED strip used has 120 LEDs per meter, the 3528 kind. max 9.6 watts per meter, it uses 12 V DC as its power source. its a normal warm white so there isn't any color changing stuff needed.

11 led strips of length 70 cm × 2 sets

30 led of length 50 cm × 2 sets

I am aware of that I'll need a chip like a PCA9685 to ensure i have enough PWM outputs, as well as MOSFET transistors to allow the dimming and lighting of the led strips.

Would usage of a PCA9685 chip require extra coding? Does anyone here have a idea on which kinda MOSFET chip i should use? I'm quite new at this so I'll appreciate all the help i can get!

So please do give me your suggestions on how a beginner like me could do this!!

Thanks in advance people!

check this out, https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=412138 I use it for rgb but you could use each of the 3 channels for each strip of lights. it also has an external power input just make sure you move the jumper so you don't feed 12v back to the arduino. I own 3 now and they are perfect. I can supply you with my code and help you tweak it to make it do what you want. as of now it fades from one color to another so it would fade you strips well. I also added a potentiometer to control the brightness.