LED Over LAN Infrastructure

I have 10 push buttons & must assign IP addresses to them.10 CAT5E wires coming from these wires to a network switch (Far Away).From the Network switch I have to connect another Ethernet or TTL/LAN shield with an arduino & display the corresponding button number on separate LEDs.

How can I do this?

Hi,

could you have a a Nano or Uno with an ethernet shield at each location?

I'm not sure how you could do it without some type of adaptor, or (modified) LAN card, at each button.

Does it have to use IP Addresses or could you manage at layer 2 of the 'networking model' and use MAC addresses?

Peter

Consider WiFi and use ESP8266 modules (WeMOS D1 Mini) instead of Arduino.

WiFi is of course, not suitable for "mission critical" applications - it's your choice. :grinning:

Peterd51:
Hi,

could you have a a Nano or Uno with an ethernet shield at each location?

I'm not sure how you could do it without some type of adaptor, or (modified) LAN card, at each button.

Does it have to use IP Addresses or could you manage at layer 2 of the 'networking model' and use MAC addresses?

Peter

Excellant Suggession.You got the point.I can manage a Nano or UNO with a ethernet shield at each slave buttons.I have enough space there.

It does not need to use an IP. address. I can manage it by detecting a MAC address.Because it must use already excists LAN infrastructure cabling.

Is there any example there?

You seem to be trying to use existing network infrastructure i.e. wiring and switches which presumably is being used by other things.

You will need assign IP addresses to your buttons which conform to the addressing already in use on your network.

You should read this;
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Ethernet

I suggest that you do not dive in at the deep end. Just try to get one button to communicate its state and get its LED to operate. Once you have that working you should be able to extend it to more buttons.