LED Set Up for Model Aircraft

Hi all, I’m very new to this so please bare with me.

Just need some advice on what best to use for an led set up to put lights on my model aircraft, about 12 leds in total, some will flash some are static.

I have a sketch to use for all the functions but what I would like to know is;

What would be the best board to use, it will be powered by a single cell lipo battery that I would like to be able to wirelessly charge, so obviously I need a board that I can put a wireless charging module on.

All need to be as small as possible. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kev

Small (static model) or light (for flying one)?

Small static model.

Do you have the model built and working and this is just a power supply solution you’re looking for? It would be helpful to know where you are in the project. Or is this still in idea stage?

Hi, I’m still in building stage for the model, I’ve tested the sketch and led’s on a breadboard, now I need to find a small board this can run on they will be powered by a lipo battery, but because the battery will be enclosed in the finished model I’ll need to charge it wirelessly so need to be able to attach a coil to the board. So what I’m after is advice on what board would work with this and how would the coil attach?

Hope this is making sense.

You cannot hide the charging wires in the stand, wheels or something like that?

No, the models are pretty small, I’m using 0402 smd’s, the stand is wood with a single steel rod to the aircraft.

I know little about wireless charging but I am afraid you need large coils, charging distance is small and efficiency is poor. Is it possible to hide bulky coil into a model that cannot afford two wires? Maybe the steel rod may be hollow with tiny wires inside? Or in the model is a hole that the rod fits in - it may be in fact a female connector. There are connectors with very small outer diameter available (IIRC my netbook connector has only 2 mm).

Beshara:
Hi all, I’m very new to this so please bare with me.

Just need some advice on what best to use for an led set up to put lights on my model aircraft, about 12 leds in total, some will flash some are static.

I have a sketch to use for all the functions but what I would like to know is;

What would be the best board to use, it will be powered by a single cell lipo battery that I would like to be able to wirelessly charge, so obviously I need a board that I can put a wireless charging module on.

All need to be as small as possible. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Kev

You could use a pro mini and house it, the battery and any charging gear in the stand base.
Coil charging is a bad idea for reasons above.
Small charging modules with mini usb sockets are readily available at low cost.

If arduino Pro Mini not small enough, then look at ATtiny85 and build it on some strip board but they can require a bit more knowledge on their use.

All one would need to do whichever uC you choose is to run small wiring up through the base to the model.

Old computer hard drive ribbon cables can be used for rather small conductors,. Easy to strip to whatever number of conductors one requires.

bluejets:
You could use a pro mini and house it, the battery and any charging gear in the stand base.
Coil charging is a bad idea for reasons above.
Small charging modules with mini usb sockets are readily available at low cost.

If arduino Pro Mini not small enough, then look at ATtiny85 and build it on some strip board but they can require a bit more knowledge on their use.

All one would need to do whichever uC you choose is to run small wiring up through the base to the model.

Old computer hard drive ribbon cables can be used for rather small conductors,. Easy to strip to whatever number of conductors one requires.

Hi, thanks for the reply, quick question, what points on the board would you put the mini usb charging module on?

Thanks

Beshara:
Hi, thanks for the reply, quick question, what points on the board would you put the mini usb charging module on?

Thanks

Usb charger board connects to the battery and the output of this board( if you use the correct type) would connect to Arduino.
I would tend to use the newer version charge board as shown in the below video link.

If only using a 1 cell lipo then connect to 5V pin and gnd.
DoNOT connect USB programming cable when 3.7v is connected in this manner.

As most lipo dimensions do no change all that much when a 2S is used, it might be worth considering.
Obviously the charging arrangement would need to change.
If using a 2S then connect to RAW and Gnd.