LED Strip light question

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get a bit of advice on my first Arduino project.
I think I will get there with the coding its more about making sure I have the right hardware.

What I am looking to make is DIY LED grow lights.
I will be using 8 12v LED strips. Each using 72 Watts.
The strips came with a AC/DC adapter outputting 12v 8.0A which goes to a RGB IR control box outputting 12A(Max) then running to the RGB strip lights. There are four wires coming out of the strip lights, power, red, green and blue. I may be wrong but if each strip uses 6A then the adapter provided would never be enough to power the lights fully?

I have seen people using Mosfets to control LEDs. I have no idea how to work out what Mosfet I need. I am also unsure if this is the best option to do what I need. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I will need to run a cable of around 3m from the arduino control to the lights. I wanted to use a usb cable but I don't think it can handle the amps required. As each strip has four wires coming out does that mean the amps for each wire is 1.5A? What size wire would you think i would need to use?

And final question. The LED strips come in 5m strips but they have connectors on each end. Is it possible to link them to make a 10m strip?

What kind of control do you need? Color selection? All strips showing same? Brightness control?

If each strip draws 72 Watts at 12V that would be 6A total or 2A per color. Eight strips would need 576 Watts or 48 Amps at 12V. You can use the provided 8A supplies, just use one for each strip. Connect all of the ground wires together.

For a MOSFET, look for an N-Channel one where RDS(on) (resistance between Source and Drain pins when ON) is very low and is measured at a Gate voltage of about 4.5V or 5V. Typical MOSFETs are measured at a Gate voltage of 10V or more which means they won’t switch fully when the Gate is connected to an Arduino pin.

The N-Channel MOSFET goes between the load and Ground so you need Common Anode strips (common is the +12V side and you connect the other wires to Ground to light the LEDs). This will allow you to control each color separately.