Led Strips design to 5.1 speakers advice

So, i am thinking of putting led strips behind the 5.1 audio speakers covers.. Currently made half a speaker and it starts to look somewhat like this:

|375x500 |375x500

And yes there is a hole inside the "cloth". Will replace the hole thing in the future for sure.. :wink:

What you guys think is it a good idea or does it look awful? It sounded like a great idea, but now i am doubting should i continue or not.. :roll_eyes:

The idea was to do all the inner sides and then run all the wires to back of the receiver where arduino would take over. Wanted to control brightness up and down, pulsation to music/sound etc.. Currently i have installed white somewhat warm led strip. Should i go for RGB led strip instead for more color option? I have some laying around, but they are not multicolor led(separate leds for each color)

I have 2 black speakers(black covers) and 2 wood style speakers with grey covers. Subwoofer is all black..

So if you were me, would you do it? Any better ideas/advice?

If you not sure, start your research from youtube, you will know exactly what you want, when you see it in action.

Sorry for being honest, but that looks awful to me.

I would rather take it behind the speakers instead of front. The back-lighting gives you even effect and feel nice for your eyes as well. But this looks like its killing my eyes, specially when you watch TV/movies... You will definitely feel uncomfortable.

PS: I'd also suggest to use RGB LED. Instead of white, this way you can change the color to your mood/setting and it will definitely help you when watch tv/movies.

Source: I personally made my own lighting setup for my whole entertainment system with RGB led strip.

Wanted to control brightness up and down, pulsation to music/sound etc..

I'd start with the lighting effect, and make sure you're happy with that before building it into your speakers. IMO something that blinks with the music, or almost any single effect can get boring after a couple of minutes.

I'd probably go with colors or make the LEDs make the LEDs individually addressable, or at least addressable in groups. I've made a 4-channel AC lighting effect that can run 4 pairs of colored floodlights, or 16 smaller white floods in a different arrangements, or it can run a 4-channel rope light with many lamps. It's got 7 different modes, including chasing modes, a flicker mode, a toggle mode, a VU meter mode, a Knight Rider (Larson Scanner) mode, and a couple more. All of these modes come-up randomly and run for a random amount of time, they are randomly be reversed, or inverted.

The flicker effect is the simplest. In it's simplest variation the LAMP/LED comes-on when the volume is louder than average and turns off when the level is below average (I keep a 20-second moving average of the "loudness"). Inverting it means the lamp is off when it's quiet and on when it's loud. But, since I have more than one channel, I can set up a random (or not so random) pattern with some LEDs on and some off and change to their their state with loudness.

I've built a similar 7-channel effect for the Eight strings of 7-lamp rope lights in the ceiling of my van (these are small incandescent lamps).

And, I've built a "Giant VU Meter" stereo VU meter effect with 24 individually addressable LEDs for each channel. The VU Meter" also does the other chasing/blinking patterns and in all of the modes (including the VU meter mode) can be reversed (so the meter goes down with loudness, instead of up) and it can be inverted (so louder music turns more LEDs off instead of on).

The random variety of modes and variation of modes makes it a little more interesting... I never know what's coming next!