Led temperature display

I'm wanting to make a temp display for my car to measure the temp of my amplifier in the trunk. The display will be mounted in the front of my car. My issue is I've found several guides for how to do it using a full size LCD display but I'd like to use the smaller numerical displays possible for it. Anyone know of guides similar to this? Was going to use the arduino uno

Are you talking about 7 segment displays? Google, "Arduino 7 segment display" I promise that there is a plethora of information out there on how to hook them up and use them. There probably isn't exactly the whole complete project you're looking for. But there should definitely be enough to get you started.

Those are exactly it! Thanks I had no idea what they were called. One search with those and I have a diagram and all! Now my only other question is instead of mounting the misplay on the board is it possible to run wire leads from the board to the display so I can mount the display in my dash and the board say in my glovebox? I'm extremely new to all things arduino.

Sure you can do that. Make them long as you want within reason. Just remember you're only pushing 5V

A word of warning cause there are a LOT of bad tuts out there. Don't follow any that:

1. Don't have a current limiting resistor for each segment

2. Try to power the whole thing directly off an output pin unless the displays are small.

The answer is yes but the board can be so small that it wouldn't be worth the effort. You might as well have them together. You might also consider how good an idea this is, decide that the Arduino would be better employed elsewhere, and get a store-bought display.

Store bought displays are big and bulky I need smaller displays. The arduino is because I also want to be able to add a fan for it to turn on when the temp hits a certain point and then shut off once temp is lowered.

Justin20062003:
Store bought displays are big and bulky I need smaller displays.

Really? And you're talking about using a Uno?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-10A-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/282543467464?hash=item41c8e72bc8:g:wPUAAOSwbtVZUHaP

Yes that would take up a ton of space to mount that. Hence why I asked if I could run wire leads from the uno up to where I mount my display because I dont want the bulky chip in my dash. Therefore the only thing in my dash would be a .56" led display well two of them total.

Justin20062003:
Yes that would take up a ton of space to mount that. Hence why I asked if I could run wire leads from the uno up to where I mount my display because I dont want the bulky chip in my dash. Therefore the only thing in my dash would be a .56" led display well two of them total.

If your 4 display uses I2C to communicate with the Arduino, the wires can go 7-ish feet. If you use serial communication, wire length is not a concern. If you are coming right off a shift register or other chip (or the Arduino itself.) then you will need to have the display right next to the board. So first order decide how the microprocessor and the display will communicate.

You could use one of these displays MAX7219 8-digit-display module €1.05, free shipping.

Small, cheap, reliable, three control lines + GND + 5V, no special timing requirements (long lines possible), …