Leds controlled climbing wall and building routes

Hello guys,
I am working on a project but I am struggling a little bit and i was wondering if i can ask you for some advice.
So what i want to do is use lights as indicator and put them on a climbing wall which has no holds. I want to light up a particular number of lights on the wall depending on the distance between each two and angle. Distance and angle are different depending on the difficulty of the route that i want to create. I have measures of the average distance between holds of different difficulty levels routes. I am not sure how to proceed in terms of the hardware required and wiring it all together because i am planning on doing it in an actual climbing centre as a friend who works in one said that he can give me access to one wall which has no holds for one day. So i would like to attach lights on the wall. I want to attach a small light next to each hole and either light them up one by one by taking into account the distance and angle or light the whole route at once. I am not sure how to do it in the actual climbing centre. I was thinking of using neopixel lights and cutting them but then i have doubts on how to connect them and wire it in a wall that i can actually use. And i am not sure about the distance measurement between individual neopixels.
Is it possible to just give me some guidelines on how to proceed?
I want to code 9 levels of difficulty (each associated with different distance between holds) and then somehow have certain leds (lets say 10 in total) on which present one route.
Thank you!

While this is ambitious for a beginner’s first project to complete in a day - it is possible.... sort of.

The good news is that you don’t need a climbing wall to prototype and develop your solution.
Your bedroom carpet is fine (don’t drill any holes,).
This will give you a chance to learn and experiment.
The bad news is that as a beginner, the prototype functionality will take a couple of days (at the least), before you need to plan the installation.

You have a bit of work before you head in to the climbing centre.
Wiring lengths, power supply, route strategies and much more.

What does this mean: "light up a particular number of lights on the wall depending on the distance between each two and angle"?

If you know the (X,Y,Z) coordinates of each LED, calculating the distance and angle(s) between any two LEDs is simple.

DaveEvans:
What does this mean: "light up a particular number of lights on the wall depending on the distance between each two and angle"?

If you know the (X,Y,Z) coordinates of each LED, calculating the distance and angle(s) between any two LEDs is simple.

Thanks for the reply!
What i am trying to achieve is this: by knowing the average distance between two holds in lets say route of intermediate difficulty i want to make multiple routes using this variable by having different starting points. A climbing wall consists of multiple holes and i want to try to make many possible routes by simply varying the position of a certain starting LED. Hope this clarifies it:)

lastchancename:
While this is ambitious for a beginner’s first project to complete in a day - it is possible.... sort of.

The good news is that you don’t need a climbing wall to prototype and develop your solution.
Your bedroom carpet is fine (don’t drill any holes,).
This will give you a chance to learn and experiment.
The bad news is that as a beginner, the prototype functionality will take a couple of days (at the least), before you need to plan the installation.

You have a bit of work before you head in to the climbing centre.
Wiring lengths, power supply, route strategies and much more.

Thanks for this!
I actually have 2 weeks. I am going to make a prototype on a cardboard and once i manage to get it working i will try it out at the climbing wall. I just want to ask you, if possible of course, do you think you can give me some tips on how to coordinate individual LEDS and if it is possible to have a sensor that activates them one by one: e.g. 1st LED lights up and then another one which is between 30 and 35cm away. Thanks again!

How will you protect the LEDs from hands and feet clawing at the wall?
I would test you longest path first for voltage drop on wires and transmission imparemnet

It's all still as clear as mud. Adding the word "sensor" makes it even more confusing. You want to throw a bunch of LEDs on the wall, put holds next to the LEDs, have the Arduino design various routes that meet certain difficulty requirements, and then show a route via the LEDs, guiding the climber by lighting them one-by-one; that is, lighting LED(i+1) when the climber reaches LED(i)?

It sounds to me like a whole lot of LEDs (how many?) that have to light up on schedule. That schedule, and which LEDs light up, is the job of the Arduino.

So far so good, that's quite straightforward to implement. Practical problems include addressing all those LEDs, the wiring, and making sure the LEDs and wiring are out of the way of the climbers, while still clearly visible to them.

Now you want the Arduino to try and calculate a random path for the climber? That's a whole different ballgame. This is a pretty tough programming job, as you have to really think about all the requirements of it. Speed, general direction (only up, or also down, and how about left/right), and probably more requirements. Some holds are easier than others.

You'll need inputs to the Arduino: setting the starting point, and when to go to the next one (time alone is a BAD idea: you can not predict how long a climber will take to take the next handhold, as that differs between climbers and routes. You'll need someone standing next to it pressing a "next" button every time the climber has reached the next hold.

Two weeks is a very short time for someone who never attempted anything like it.