LEDs on automobiles

On the front of a lot of newer cars, the manufactures are putting a row of white LED lights as, I guess, driving lights. I have aftermarket lights on my vehicle that use them as well. However, mine flash when using a turn signal. Which is illegal (was warned by local PD that only amber can flash).

Anyone have an idea what wattage LEDs these type of things use? Want to start planning for replacing the whites with ambers.

Still early in all of this as I haven't removed the assembly to see if it can even be opened up to gain access to the LEDs. If I am able to gain access, is there a way to tell for certain what "specs" these LEDs have? Sent the place I bought them (online seller) an email asking for help getting specs. No real luck there. Just that they were 12 volt and made in China.

Any help is very much appreciated.

DangerToMyself:
On the front of a lot of newer cars, the manufactures are putting a row of white LED lights as, I guess, driving lights. I have aftermarket lights on my vehicle that use them as well. However, mine flash when using a turn signal. Which is illegal (was warned by local PD that only amber can flash).

Anyone have an idea what wattage LEDs these type of things use? Want to start planning for replacing the whites with ambers.

Still early in all of this as I haven't removed the assembly to see if it can even be opened up to gain access to the LEDs. If I am able to gain access, is there a way to tell for certain what "specs" these LEDs have? Sent the place I bought them (online seller) an email asking for help getting specs. No real luck there. Just that they were 12 volt and made in China.

Any help is very much appreciated.

You have them, I don't. Check the current with your DVM. You can compute the total wattage and get close to the individual wattage by dividing by the number of LEDS.

I guess the real answer is for you wire the lights correctly. And why is this asked in an Arduino forum?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
You have them, I don't. Check the current with your DVM. You can compute the total wattage and get close to the individual wattage by dividing by the number of LEDS.

I guess the real answer is for you wire the lights correctly. And why is this asked in an Arduino forum?

Paul

Thanks for the input Paul.

As for your question. Pretty simple answer really. Because it's a "General Electronics" question.

DangerToMyself:
As for your question. Pretty simple answer really. Because it's a "General Electronics" question.

General Electronics as related to Arduino. Or is it not obvious given that it is forum.arduino.cc ? ? ?

Arduino Forum > Using Arduino > General Electronics >

Put a yellow filter in front of them. You say they are aftermarket. Look at the wiring. How do they even know that the turn signal is engaged?

ieee488:
General Electronics as related to Arduino. Or is it not obvious given that it is forum.arduino.cc ? ? ?

Arduino Forum > Using Arduino > General Electronics >

And I may very well, once converted to amber, incorporate an Arduino and make them do something along the lines of Night Rider. Not necessarily the same though. As that's a bit over done, in my opinion.

Have to figure out what I'm working with first though. Thus, the "General Electronics" question. Thanks for the help!

DangerToMyself:
Want to start planning for replacing the whites with ambers.

....... Just that they were 12 volt and made in China.

I can't imagine that it would be cost effective to replace the white LEDs with amber ones.

Hi,
Did you buy the aftermarket LEDs?
If so where from, if they are still in stock they should have some specifications with them.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Agree with aarg. Just remove the signal lines that tell it about the turn signal.

Just buy a bag of Quality Street, chose the ones in the yellow cellophane, stick over leds.