LED's started glowing more and nothing worked anymore

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, this is my first time posting here.
I had a question about a personal project I was working on. It's just a mini sleep ball machine, the main way it works is that I have LED's constantly on facing photo resistors and when the ba passes through the hole the resistance goes up and I can read it through an analog input.
I also have a basic 4 digit led display on to show the score.
Everything was working fine for a while for recently, I guess something got knocked loose, but the LED's started glowing much more than before (their yellow LED's and some even look redish orange now) and nothing else works. The display stopped working and I couldn't keep track of the resistance anymore (on the serial monitor). I also couldn't upload any new code until a disconnected the ground of 5 volts pin to that power the LED's.
All the LED's are connected to the 5v pins through the same wire and connected to ground through the same wire which goes to a 300Ω resistor and then to the ground pin.
I know it's kind of hard to try and answer without actually seeing the project, but any help is appreciated. If there's any common problems it might be I'd love to know. Thanks so much!!

How much current in total are the LEDs taking and how many of them are there ?

Which Arduino board ?

Arduino uno
And I don't have anything to measure the amps (I know, I really should get a multimeter), but according to this site http://robotics.lib-ieronimoub.gr/?p=715
When powered by USB it should give off 500mA and that's going to 7 LED's.

There are several errors on that page you linked to.

Max current draw on USB supply is 450mA, because the Uno takes 50mA for itself.

Max port (group of pins) current is not mentioned, and is 100mA.

Max current on external supply is not 500mA-1Amp, but more like 100mA to 500mA.
500mA with ~7volt on the DC socket or V-in, and dropping to ~100mA with 12volt in.
Anything more will overheat and could fry the 5volt regulator and the rest of the board.
Leo…

Eguin:
I know it's kind of hard to try and answer without actually seeing the project, but any help is appreciated.

So let's have a picture. Take it out to daylight so everything can be seen, not full sun, and attach the picture here.

"Everything was working fine for a while for recently, I guess something got knocked loose, but the LED's started glowing much more than before (their yellow LED's and some even look redish orange now) and nothing else works."

I suspect you had an over voltage condition for some reason and something finally burned out due to that. When LEDs get brighter than normal, better check the voltage. I once noticed the LED on an arduino brighter than normal, so I checked the board voltage. It was 8v+ due to a power supply issue. The board still worked afterward.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:
PS, You need to get a DMM.. even a $10 DMM.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys, I just wanted to get a multimeter to properly answer your questions.
It took a little while since the second semester of college started.
After I got mine I started testing the voltage and saw that I accidentally crossed a wire from a led to a photo resistor.
I obliviously fixed that up and the issue went away.
Thanks so much for responding to me and being available to help me out, I very appreciative it.

The change in colour of the LEDs is a symptom of far too much current flowing through them - they are likely to be permanently damaged by this event and now be fainter than originally.

Hi,
Please post a circuit diagram of your project please?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile: