Leonardo and Minecraft: Receive Data

I work with kids in a computer science club. In a project we juggle with Minecraft and the Lego WeDo System (I wrote a mod for Minecraft that uses a java usb hid api). It works perfect. The next step was to connect the Arduino Leonardo as a hid device. Sending reports to the host (to Minecraft) works fine, but receiving data doesn't work. I copied the hid descriptor from the wedo system:

0x05, 0x01,                                    // USAGE_PAGE (Generic Desktop)
    0x09, 0x3b,                                    // USAGE (Byte Count)
    0xa1, 0x01,                                    // COLLECTION (Application)
    0x85, 0x03,                                    // REPORT_ID (3)
    0x15, 0x00,                                    //  LOGICAL_MINIMUM (0)
    0x26, 0xff, 0x00,                            //  LOGICAL_MAXIMUM (255)
    0x19, 0x10,                                    //  USAGE_MINIMUM (Reserved (16))
    0x29, 0x17,                   //  USAGE_MAXIMUM (Reserved(23))
    0x95, 0x08,                   //  REPORT_COUNT (8 Fields)
    0x75, 0x08,                   //  REPORT_SIZE (8 Bit)
    0x81, 0x02,                   //  INPUT (Data,Var,Abs,Liear,Pref State,Bit)
    0x15, 0x00,                                    //  LOGICAL_MINIMUM (0)
    0x26, 0xff, 0x00,                            //  LOGICAL_MAXIMUM (255)
    0x19, 0x18,                                    //  USAGE_MINIMUM (Reserved (24))
    0x29, 0x1F,                   //  USAGE_MAXIMUM (Reserved(31))
    0x95, 0x08,                   //  REPORT_COUNT (8 Fields)
    0x75, 0x08,                   //  REPORT_SIZE (8 Bit)
    0x91,0x02,                    //  OUTPUT (Data,Var,Abs,Liear,Pref State,Bit)
    0xC0                      //  END_COLLECTION

Some questions:

Why do I need a report id=3? If I set it to 2, it doesn't work. If I don't set an id, like Lego does with the WeDo Hub, it doesn't work, too. Is it possible to change the vendor/product id? When I remove usage min and max, it doesn't work. It is obsolete, i think?

In another forum someone posted a hint that two different report ids for input and output could help. It doesn't :(

I think the wrong descriptor is the main reason why I can't send bytes to the Leonardo. The second problem is the missing void WEAK HID_ReceiveReport(u8 id, void* data, int len) in HID.cpp. I started to implement that, the compiling works, but the problem of sending data to the Leonardo is reported on host side already. I use SimpleHIDWrite.exe for testing (always starting Minecraft is time consuming), the error messages come from Windows directly.

Has anyone worked with sending data to an Leonardo successfully? Is there an error in my hid descriptor?

Greetings, infchem

If I remember correct, someone made mass storage emulation working.

Why do I need a report id=3? If I set it to 2, it doesn't work.

The report ID value doesn't matter - it's only used to uniquely identify a report within the device. If omitted. a single report with ID 0x00 is assumed. Setting this to 0x02 should work as long as your host is reading and writing the correct ID.

Is it possible to change the vendor/product id?

Yes, in the device descriptors. I don't know what source code you are using, so I can't tell you exactly, but it it's LUFA based edit Descriptors.c. If it's Arduino's USB stack, they'll need to point you to the appropriate location.

When I remove usage min and max, it doesn't work. It is obsolete, i think?

No, it's required. You must define usages for the report values you intend to send/receive.

I started to implement that, the compiling works, but the problem of sending data to the Leonardo is reported on host side already. I use SimpleHIDWrite.exe for testing (always starting Minecraft is time consuming), the error messages come from Windows directly.

Perhaps an indication of what the error is may help. Also, seeing your host code would also be helpful.