Leonardo Clone not recognized -- Aspire V, Windows 10

Hello lovely forum,

I've spent years lurking these forums, always successfully, but today I finally have to ask a question.

I bought what I was told was an Arduino Leonardo from my local(ish) MicroCenter yesterday, only to find out today that it is a Chinese clone from some company called Inland which doesn't even list the product on their website (ipsgproducts.com). So I'm a little bit peeved, both at them for not telling me, and at myself for not looking more closely. Trust is a dangerous thing sometimes.

So it's strictly not being recognized. When I plug it into my Acer Aspire V (Windows 10) using a known-working USB cable, the Device Manager doesn't even refresh, and needless to say it's not showing up under Ports in the IDE. When I plug it in, it does receive power and runs the Blinky program. But when plugging and unplugging, and pressing the reset button, nothing beyond that happens. No "device detected" sound, not even an "Unknown Device" that I could click on to install the proper drivers, not even when I show hidden devices in the Device Manager. Nothing under Ports, etc. I know both of my USB ports are working, as my genuine Nano works just fine.

I'm wondering if there's any known way to make this work? I haven't seen anyone share alternative drivers or anything, and I've been googling up and down for a couple of hours before this.

What I want to do is take it back and gripe at somebody, but I've already lost a day of work to this, the place is a 2 hour round trip for me (wish we still had RadioShacks everywhere), and I don't want to have to wait several more days to order something. I was supposed to have made some progress on this job by now! Argh!

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

P.S. my only other working board right now is the Nano, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to pass a new bootloader to this one? That aspect is new to me. I'm used to them just working!

Make sure the USB cable is fully inserted into the socket on the board and your computer.

BedWords:
P.S. my only other working board right now is the Nano, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to pass a new bootloader to this one?

Yes. You can use the Nano as an "Arduino as ISP" to burn the bootloader on the Leonardo: