[Leonardo] On-board voltage regulator destroyed?

Hello everybody!

I have an Arduino Leonardo board with the voltage regulator marked "W34 7CE50Z". I didn't find much documentation about it on the Internet but it should behave like the one indicated in the board schematics and, as I understood, some boards use this other regulator.

Anyway, I tried something bad ie. using the board with a DC unregulated power rated for 12 V but which outputs 18.5 V as open-circuit voltage... This is playing close to the limits but should be safe - at least for a few moments.
But things began pretty bad as I think the regulator is destroyed with a short to ground. I'll try to remove it to see if the MCU has taken damage as well but my question is:
is it plausible that about 18 V applied thru the jack for less than 30 seconds have destroyed the regulator? Since, for the regulator on the schematics, the maximum rated voltage is 20 V?

I'm asking because I don't really see what else could have destroyed it, no short or overload were applied. Thx for help and sorry for my bad English :slight_smile:

No idea ? :confused:

is it plausible that about 18 V applied thru the jack for less than 30 seconds have destroyed the regulator?

Yes.

I've removed it and it was actually not damaged.

But I'm measuring about 10 ohms between the 5V and GND pins, I don't know where the short is on the board. Anyway I know I'm good for buying a new one but I'd like to understand what could have happened to no do it again... But I've no idea, I don't think I've done something wrong except plugging that 18V on the board.