Lib installation problem

I am using IDE 1.6.8 under Windows.

Error message:
When verifying, the IDE reports: no such file or directory for avr/io.h

I found out that this happens with specific libs that are installed afterwards.
Somehow some libs do not install correctly or not complete.
I did install all my libs with the Librerary manager.
Some libs turn out te be installed incomplete, like the "SoftI2CMaster", installed from a zip file, turns out to be incomplete (missing .c file). >No error during installation though.
Lib "SoftWire" was installed with the manager, and seems to be complete, though doesn't work either.

How to recognize the issue in the IDE:
When including a lib, in the include stratement, the Lib name should turn red
If it doesn't turn red, you will have a problem compiling.

MohKraats:
When verifying, the IDE reports: no such file or directory for avr/io.h

What do you have selected in Tools > Board?

MohKraats:
"SoftI2CMaster", installed from a zip file, turns out to be incomplete (missing .c file).

Please post a link to where you downloaded the library from

MohKraats:

No error during installation though.

Library installation only checks for valid library folder structure

MohKraats:
Lib "SoftWire" was installed with the manager, and seems to be complete, though doesn't work either.

Please provide details of what you mean by "doesn't work".

MohKraats:
How to recognize the issue in the IDE:
When including a lib, in the include stratement, the Lib name should turn red
If it doesn't turn red, you will have a problem compiling.

That's incorrect. If the lib name doesn't turn red that just means the name isn't in any keywords.txt file, it has nothing to do with compiling.

Hello Pert,

As Board, I have tried an Uno as well as a Due.
I could't notice any differences.

I found the SoftI2CMaster lib through: Arduino Playground - SoftwareI2CLibrary

I noticed that a dependency check is not performed anymore at a lib install (like e.g. with version 1.5.3)
Such check would be nice though, when then also completed with hints what else to install.

Verify comes up with either file not found (dependency??), or with a list of non-declared variables, that are not in my sketch.

It struck me that I only have this type of issues if the include statement for the lib doesn't show a red coloured lib name in the IDE.

Best regards,

MohKraats:
As Board, I have tried an Uno as well as a Due.

Due isn't an AVR architecture so any library that includes avr/io.h is not compatible with the Due. You should not encounter that error(no such file or directory for avr/io.h) when Uno is selected.

MohKraats:
I found the SoftI2CMaster lib through: Arduino Playground - SoftwareI2CLibrary

I compiled a couple of the examples with Uno selected without errors. That library was not supposed to have a .c file. It is possible and sometimes beneficial to write a library with only a .h file. In fact the EEPROM library included with the Arduino IDE only has a .h file.

MohKraats:
It struck me that I only have this type of issues if the include statement for the lib doesn't show a red coloured lib name in the IDE.

Merely a coincidence, SoftwareI2CLibrary is just missing keywords.txt which has only the effect of causing keywords specific to that library to be highlighted. On the other hand, libraries where the author hasn't included a keywords.txt file are probably more likely to have bugs because this indicates less effort was put into the library or a lack of attention to detail.

Hello Pert,

Thanks for the helpful info.

I had been doing most of the trying with the Due, because I need the 3.3V on the bus.
The "missing file..." message had thrown me off track. Especially, since the mentioned io.h file isn't missing at all.

Would be nice if the IDE would give more clear error messages.....

Anyway, I'll focus on the Uno for first now, see if I can get that to run as needed and put a level shifter together.
It is the lack off the resend capability of the Wire lib that makes me looking for something else...

Thanks again,