Libraries that verify correctly in older IDE but no longer in newer IDE

Hi,

It happens quite a lot that a library perfectly works in for example IDE 1.0.5 but when I try to use that exact same library in IDE 1.8.0 compilation fails... I have had this for as long as I use Arduino but today I decided to put it here to see if someone knows how this is possible and more importantly how to fix it. Fortunately I never ran into a situation that 2 libraries I needed to use both needed a different IDE :)

Ok a simple example....

I have used this (https://github.com/Duality4Y/SED1531) library in the past without any problems. But when I try to upload/verify the "SED1531_Demo" to my Arduino using IDE 1.8.0 I get the following error: http://screencast.com/t/lbdwylZfq

When I use the exact same library using IDE 1.0.5 it verifies/uploads without any problems....

(deleted)

I noticed I linked to the wrong library :frowning:

Anyway, in response to spycatcher2k:

The error I get is:

In file included from F:\Cloud\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SED1531\examples\SED1531_demo\SED1531_demo.ino:2:0:

F:\Cloud\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SED1531/proportional_font.h:81:54: error: variable ‘proportional_font_lookup’ must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of ‘attribute((progmem))’

const PROGMEM char* PROGMEM proportional_font_lookup =

^

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Duemilanove or Diecimila.

It clearly refers to the attached .h file.

I’m happy to use IDE 1.0.5 the only thing I find annoying is that in the past similar issues took hours before I discovered that that it was IDE related :frowning: I would expect that if the code is correct for 1.0.5 it should also be correct for 1.8.0 (or any other version)???

proportional_font.h (6.33 KB)

(deleted)

Wow that quite an OLD lib...

But it did include a link to a newer version by the author in the readme.

Then your assumptions are wrong. I have 10 different version of the IDE on my DEV machine, Some older code works only on older versions, some only on newer ones. Most works on any.

I'll remember that :) Thanks!