Libraries will not update

Hello. I am working on a project in which I use my own C library. All went well until I had a change in the library that used different parameters. I edited the .h and .c files of the library in the correct folder. I saw on the example library:

After this library is installed, you just have to start the Arduino application.
You may see a few warning messages as it's built.

After a successful build of this library, a new file named "Test.o" will appear
in "Arduino/lib/targets/libraries/Test". This file is the built/compiled library
code.

If you choose to modify the code for this library (i.e. "Test.cpp" or "Test.h"),
then you must first 'unbuild' this library by deleting the "Test.o" file. The
new "Test.o" with your code will appear after the next press of "verify"

This evidently is not true, as I cannot find this directory. I cannot find the .o file anywhere, except in a temp file whose deletion does nothing except give errors until Arduino is restarted. I read that arduino will automatically update it for you, and that you do not have to delete the .o file, but this seems like a bad change since it does not actually rebuild the library, nor does it let you rebuild it manually. Do I have to rename my library every time I want to change it?

shackleford:
a new file named "Test.o" will appear
in "Arduino/lib/targets/libraries/Test". This file is the built/compiled library
code.

If you choose to modify the code for this library (i.e. "Test.cpp" or "Test.h"),
then you must first 'unbuild' this library by deleting the "Test.o" file.

There have been a lot of changes in the Arduino IDE over the years. This has made a lot of the information floating around obsolete. You will even find some things like that on the arduino.cc website. With recent versions of the Arduino IDE the libraries are built on the first compile and then only rebuilt again when modified. So when you edit a library the next compile will include your changes. No need to delete or rename anything.

shackleford:
This evidently is not true, as I cannot find this directory. I cannot find the .o file anywhere, except in a temp file whose deletion does nothing except give errors until Arduino is restarted. I read that arduino will automatically update it for you, and that you do not have to delete the .o file, but this seems like a bad change since it does not actually rebuild the library, nor does it let you rebuild it manually. Do I have to rename my library every time I want to change it?

Of course not. Have you done a simple test to check if what you're saying is true? You need to learn to take a scientific approach to programming. Instead of making some wild guess based on assumptions, devise and execute an experiment and then interpret the results. In this case it's a simple manner of compiling the library, then modifying the library in a manner that will have an obvious change in the behavior, save the library, then upload the sketch again and check if the Arduino demonstrates the change in behavior expected from the modification.