Library location issues

I am trying to do a project that I downloaded from Github for Smartthings and I cannot even verify the sketch due to a library failure. I followed instructions and even tried a few other things to no avail. What concerns me is in the error the path shows a / rather than a \ proceeding the file name. I think this is my issue but I cannot confirm and am unsure where I could even find/fix this. Any help is appreciated. Other example sketches work fine from this viewpoint.

In file included from C:\Users\Samsiam\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi.ino:1:0:
C:\Users\Samsiam\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\libraries\SmartThingsESP8266WiFi**/**SmartThingsESP8266WiFi.h:24:10: fatal error: ESP8266WiFi.h: No such file or directory
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano Every.

The ESP8266WiFi library can only be used for direct programming of an ESP8266 boards. It can't be used when you are only using an ESP8266 as a WiFi adapter for a standard Arduino board.

If you are directly programming an ESP8266 board, then you need to select the correct board from the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board menu.

If you truly are using a Nano Every, then you would need to rewrite the sketch to not use the ESP8266WiFi library.

Don't waste your time trying to install the ESP8266WiFi library. It is automatically installed along with the ESP8266 boards platform and can only be used with those boards. Even if you manage to install it globally, it won't compile for the Nano Every.

samsiam:
What concerns me is in the error the path shows a / rather than a \ proceeding the file name.

Don't worry about it. This is normal and expected and can't cause a problem. It has nothing to do with the error you're getting. The / separators are in the component of the path that is predefined for use on all operating systems. Linux and macOS use / only, while Windows is compatible with both / and . So if you use / in the path, it's compatible with all operating systems. The \ part of the path was generated, and so uses the native default path separator, which is \ on Windows.

Thanks,
This is my first time with any of this - Arduino or board. I bought the board based off of a different project. I was able to flash it with their custom code and using tasmotizer. This is a new (second) board and I wanted try this project. I do admit I was struggling to know which board to select. Here is what I have. Any further help is greatly appreciated.

ESP8285 ESP-M2 CH340 Development Board WIFI Serial Port Module CH340 Compatible with ESP8266

http://www.hiletgo.com/ProductDetail/2165027.html

OK, so in that case, you can use the ESP8266WiFi library with this board. I think the correct board to select is "DOIT ESP-Mx DevKit (ESP8285)"

Thanks, got that installed and looks to make it past that. Getting some other compile errors but I will check back on the post to see if I missed something there.

C:\Users\Samsiam\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi.ino: In function 'void setup()':
ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi:60:29: error: 'D1' was not declared in this scope
#define PIN_RELAY1 D1 //SmartThings Capability "Relay Switch"
^
C:\Users\Samsiam\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi.ino:127:61: note: in expansion of macro 'PIN_RELAY1'
static st::EX_TimedRelayPair executor1(F("windowShade1"), PIN_RELAY1, PIN_RELAY2, LOW, true, 1000, 1000);
^
ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi:61:29: error: 'D2' was not declared in this scope
#define PIN_RELAY2 D2 //SmartThings Capability "Relay Switch"
^
C:\Users\Samsiam\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi\ST_Anything_WindowShade_ESP8266WiFi.ino:127:73: note: in expansion of macro 'PIN_RELAY2'
static st::EX_TimedRelayPair executor1(F("windowShade1"), PIN_RELAY1, PIN_RELAY2, LOW, true, 1000, 1000);

The ESP8266 boards platform matches the Arduino pin numbers to the ESP8266 GPIO numbers (so Arduino pin 4 is ESP8266 GPIO 4). Some of the ESP8266 boards manufacturers found this to be inconvenient. So they labeled the pins with arbitrary numbers and then mapped the GPIO numbers to Dn variables (where "n" is the pin number written on the board). Here you can see an example of the mapping for the WeMos D1 Mini:

static const uint8_t D0   = 16;
static const uint8_t D1   = 5;
static const uint8_t D2   = 4;
static const uint8_t D3   = 0;
static const uint8_t D4   = 2;
static const uint8_t D5   = 14;
static const uint8_t D6   = 12;
static const uint8_t D7   = 13;
static const uint8_t D8   = 15;
static const uint8_t RX   = 3;
static const uint8_t TX   = 1;

Since boards like the WeMos D1 Mini are very popular, you will find lots of sketches that use these Dn pin names. However, other ESP8266 boards are marked with the GPIO number, and so the creators found no need to create these Dn pin mapping variables (though they probably should have for compatibility's sake). So for your board you can just change the D1 to 1, and so on.

But you should keep in mind that there are restrictions on how some of the pins can be used, so you might have trouble if you pick the wrong pin. For example, the RX and TX pins are used for uploading, so if you connect something to those pins, you might find that you can no longer upload sketches to your board!

Great and thanks! I wondered about that but was not completely sure. These boards never show up with any instructions and the other one I have which is some kind of mini uses D labeled pins. I swapped it because I was trying to figure out if it was my issue communicating with Arduino.

It got me all confused the first time I used an ESP8266 board. It had the Dn labels but I was using normal integers in my code. So my Blink sketch wasn't blinking the LED. Then I discovered it was blinking on a different pin and thought there was something wrong with the board I got. Wasted probably an hour trying to figure out what was going on before I learned about that Dn thing.

Thanks again! Looks like that did the trick!

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy!
Per