Library update

Open source libraries on GitHub can be installed into the sketchbook/libraries folder by downloading the zip file from GitHub and installing it with sketch>include library> add .zip library.
From time to time one would need to track for changes in the library and over write the files in the libraries folder with files from Github.
Is there any other method by which the update can be done?
Presently the Timelord library is of interest to me.
Regards.

The best option is to use Library Manager (Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries) to install and update libraries. You can even configure the Arduino IDE's preferences to notify you when a new version of an installed library from the Library Manager index is available. Unfortunately, not all libraries are in the Arduino Library Manager index (the library author must request inclusion).

For the libraries not in Library Manager, it's still quite easy to download and install them for the first time via the Arduino IDE's Sketch > Include Library > Add .ZIP Library feature. However, when it comes time to update the libraries installed via that method, the only option is to manually delete the previous installation first, which is a difficult task for some people.

The alternative is to use git clone to install the library and then git pull to update it.

pert:
The alternative is to use git clone to install the library and then git pull to update it.

Thanks pert.
I will clone the repository in my portable libraries folder and when changes are reported i will update it by using a pull request.

Did I get you right?

1 Like

kssoin:
when changes are reported i will update it by using a pull request.

Did I get you right?

Not quite.

First of all, I didn't suggest a way to get notifications of changes. You can get notifications of releases in a repository by clicking the "Watch" button on the GitHub page. That won't notify you if there was only a new commit made to the repository though. The closest thing to that I know of is that you can see commits as an item in your GitHub timeline (which is shown at https://github.com/ when you're logged in to your account. I don't know whether that's only for repositories you're watching, people you're following, or both.

kssoin:
i will update it by using a pull request.

Not a pull request. A git pull command. A pull request is you requesting that the repository maintainer pull changes you've made in your fork of the repository into their repository. Git pull is you pulling changes to the repository into your local clone of the repository.

Thanks pert. I will keep your methods in mind.

pert:
….. However, when it comes time to update the libraries installed via that method, the only option is to manually delete the previous installation first, which is a difficult task for some people.

I have a version of grbl that I would like to remove and reinstall with an earlier version. It appears in >File>Examples>Files from Custom Library - could you please step me through how to remove and reinstall?
Thanks

rallim:
I have a version of grbl that I would like to remove and reinstall with an earlier version. It appears in >File>Examples>Files from Custom Library - could you please step me through how to remove and reinstall?
Thanks

Do this:

File > Examples > grblUpload

Sketch > Show sketch folder - This should open a folder named grblUpload in your file browser software. This is under a folder structure that will look something like this:

libraries
|_ grbl
|_ examples
|_ grblUpload

To remove the grbl library, you need to delete the grbl folder shown above. Please be very careful when deleting things from your computer. When in doubt, back up!

Now it’s time to install the new version of the library:

Assuming you want to download the latest version of the official grbl, download it from this link: https://github.com/grbl/grbl/archive/master.zip

Unzip the downloaded file.

(In the Arduino IDE) Sketch > Include Library > Add .ZIP Library

From the unzipped folder, select the grbl subfolder (despite the menu name, “Add .ZIP Library” can also be used to install libraries from folders).

Click the “Open” button.

You have now updated grbl!

Thanks mate - much appreciated.
Cheers

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy!
Per

Hi Per
I followed your instructions above - however now I no longer have a grblUpload file in File>Examples.
The grbl file is in the Sketch>Include Library.
Any ideas om how to correct?
Cheers
Joe

It should be at File > Examples > grbl > grblUpload