Life of Arduino

Hello,

I've just finiched a project of Energy Monitoring with an Arduino and Raspberry. The raspberry sends data of consumption in real time to a client by public adress IP.The arduino sends data of sensor to the raspberry.
but I want to know how much longer can the arduino works ( executing the program of catching and sending data).

Sorry for my feeble English, and thank you.

I thought this thread was going to be an allegory of a shipwreck, and a young boy sharing a lifeboat with a dangerous microcontroller.

However .... people have projects using Arduinos and well-written software running 24/7 for months or years.

AWOL:
I thought this thread was going to be an allegory of a shipwreck,

The companion volume to Life of RPi

...R

The Arduino should last a lot longer than the RPi, because it has fewer parts.
Leo…

Take care of the environment.
Power
Moisture
Heat
and so on…
It can physically last a darn long time.

if your code, and environment are good, it is possible that it will also never need to be power cycled. Maybe a watchdog event if something really dodgy is happening, but your code should be able to recover.

Failures are far more likely to be switches, bulbs, motors etc.

If you use signed integers for time calculations then possibly you have a bug in just under 25 days.

Where did the 25 day factor come from?!

Roughly half of 49.

Sorry, i was just wondering how this got tied into a long integer (mS) overflow? OP never mentioned a time based problem...
Just curious!

OP never mentioned a time based problem

"how much longer can the arduino works" seems rather clearly time based.

I’m out.
Clearly English has moved on since ulong milliseconds were ‘invented’, but not more than 50 days.

I still don’t see any part of the OP that relates to intervals, or single loop timing. Question was about the life of an Arduino, not a timer or other software construct.

AWOL’s shipwreck has landed.

lastchancename:
I’m out.
Clearly English has moved on since ulong milliseconds were ‘invented’, but not more than 50 days.

I still don’t see any part of the OP that relates to intervals, or single loop timing. Question was about the life of an Arduino, not a timer or other software construct.

AWOL’s shipwreck has landed.

Hey! Don't blame me - blame Yann Martel.

if you are finally fix your arduino in some project. fill it with electronic potting compound. you will find awesome performance even in outdoor.

Now this shipwreck is just getting silly!

Sink an Arduino in potting compound, and you’ve doubled your chance of premature failure under most conditions. The board (regulator etc) is unable to dissipate heat, and the compound (an insulator) migrates into the M-F pin connections.

Now if you’d suggested your own homebrew board design - intended for encapsulation, that’s another thing.

And in no way does potting improve ‘performance’.

https://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Frelishsports.com%2Fimages%2Fdetailed%2F0%2F55.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Frelishsports.com%2Fbuy-online%2Fair-pistol%2Fmorini-cm-162ei.html&docid=P940LgtXmZyYOM&tbnid=vINzqRLj7eExKM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjbwK-9v8HWAhXGMY8KHVK4DjYQMwhTKCMwIw..i&w=260&h=195&bih=694&biw=1280&q=morini%20162%20circuit&ved=0ahUKEwjbwK-9v8HWAhXGMY8KHVK4DjYQMwhTKCMwIw&iact=mrc&uact=8

just look at this its a controller with boost up. then tell me about potting

Wawa:
The Arduino should last a lot longer than the RPi, because it has fewer parts.
Leo…

why would the amount of non-moving parts matter?

Not a very good analogy, but
If you buy a lotto ticket, and you neighbour buys two lotto tickets.
Who would have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Leo..

yes but on the other hand. lets say you buy a $9000 computer and someone else buys a $10 watch
calculator. the computer has way more parts.

I see where you're coming from but for this topic (and I'm sure its already been stated)
I think its more quality of the product and then the environment provided for that product.

I've bought Gikfun pro minis for like $10 for three... the voltage regulator went out in two
(it was a 5v board on a 9v batt)
I've also bought the Arduino brand pro mini for what they sell them for and I've only had one fail but it was my fault due to improper wiring in my circuit

LandonW:
I've bought Gikfun pro minis for like $10 for three... the voltage regulator went out in two
(it was a 5v board on a 9v batt)

What 5V peripherals were connected? Even the VR on a genuine Ard can blow if it's overloaded.

9v+ to RAW and neg to grd. there was really no reason for it to go bad, just one day it quit working and that's how I always hook it up,(regardless of brand) with my remaining Gikfun board, I used a larger and separate 5v VR and attached that to vcc on the board and it works fine.