light about Bootloader and programmer

Hello,

Despite the lot of informations about arduino in Internet, I don't yet really understand how work the bootload of Arduino (UNO).
May be my poor english is the cause ?! :o((

I had understood that the chip ATMEGA 328 have inside it a bootload made by AMTEL (2Ko).
I understood that, Mr Arduino erased this bootload, and wrote another bootload (0.5Ko) in order to build the "ARDUINO UNO"...
Is that right ?
Tks fr ur answer

So...

I have a Win7, 64 bits and I just bought a combo parallel serial in order to use the parallel programmer.
Unfortunately, it seems to me, now, that nothing is able to work with this configuration. Nothing can run under Win7-64.
Someone could give me some info ?

Thanks a lot,

CR

the chip ATMEGA 328 have inside it a bootload made by AMTEL (2Ko).

No. The ATmega328 normally comes without a bootloader, so that the only way it can be programmed is using SPI or "High Voltage Parallel Programming."

Versions of Arduino prior to Uno used a bootloader (atmegaboot) that was 2k in size.) The Uno bootloader is smaller and faster.

I just bought a combo parallel serial in order to use the parallel programmer.

In the old days a DOS program (for example) could individually access the bits of a parallel port, making that port useful for all sorts of "unusual" applications such as programming microcontrollers. Newer operating systems disallow direct access to the registers of the parallel port, and newer hardware is not as directly connected to the 8086 buses, making it more difficult to use the parallel port for anything other than printers. You would be more likely to have success using a USB AVR programmer (many of which are now much less expensive than they used to be.)

Thanks alot for your quick answer.
I start to understand my confusion between "bootloader" from USB device and "programmation" with SPI interface of the ATmega.
OK for the // interface which can't be used in our last OS (unfortunately).
I read that they are some drivers .sys to bypass that problem, but these drivers doesn't work under Win7-64.

HI,

I have another question : is there any programmer (easy to build and free) that could work under Win7 64 and a serial port ?