light up bouncy ball (standalone knock sensor)

Hi,

For my project, I want to make a knock sensor in a ball that emits a different color every time it is activated (similar to the light up bounce balls or shoes). It is basically the 'Arduino knock sensor' project except I want it to be standalone inside a ball. What is the best way to make it so that the whole concoction can fit within a baseball-sized ball? I am new to electronics so please guide me to what chip can be used to store the initial programming and then moved. Would also want to use a small coin type battery for led.

PS. i know piezo is not how the traditional bouncy balls work (they use a cheaper spring contact circuit, if someone knows how I can program that to only make one led color rather than a rainbow then that would be great as well)

An Arduino Pro Mini will fit the size and power consumption that you want. A Flora or Gemma will also fit and might be easier as a starter board.

You only want one RGB LED? Or maybe two regular LEDs with different colours? Whatever you pick, it will be easy to change later. For maximum control, a Flora Neopixel might be fun.

So you already have the piezo sensor you want to use and you’ve tested it?

Thanks for your response!

Is there no other option than to have the pretty advanced chips you mentioned? My project doesn't require that much capability so I was hoping for something smaller, but maybe this is the only option. Also, it needs to be resistant to impact so don't want something heavy and expensive breaking every time!

Yes, I already have a piezo that came with the arduino starter kit!

Oh you could do it with just a bare attiny85 and some hella soldering skills but you haven't given us any clue as to whether or not you're up to that so folks are recommending boards that are already put together.

How good are you with a soldering iron? Do you feel up to doing a "dead-bug" on a tiny85?

I would go to a pet store, buy a light up bouncy ball and steal the sensor out of that.
My puppy loves them so we have about 10.

vinceherman:
I would go to a pet store, buy a light up bouncy ball and

Be done

"Advanced"? Yes they are advanced. That is what makes them easy to program.

I am reminded of a short story where some military guys from the American civil war time-travel to our present and decide to steal an airplane to take back to the past and use it to win the war. They decide to steal the Wright Flyer out of the museum as they think that the first airplane will be the easiest to fly. Of course it isn't.

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Delta_G:
Oh you could do it with just a bare attiny85 and some hella soldering skills but you haven’t given us any clue as to whether or not you’re up to that so folks are recommending boards that are already put together.

How good are you with a soldering iron? Do you feel up to doing a “dead-bug” on a tiny85?

Yes, I have not indicated my soldering skills because they are beginner level! but I will definitely look up a ‘tiny85’. I guess for now I will stick to the flora/gemma etc that Morgan mentioned. Thanks!

vinceherman:
I would go to a pet store, buy a light up bouncy ball and steal the sensor out of that.
My puppy loves them so we have about 10.

I wish it was that simple, but I am trying to make it light a single color at every impact not the flurry of rainbows. Yes, I could probably remove the extra LED’s but I want them to be on for only a certain amount of time and not blink like crazy/all the weird effects those toys have. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

So start with any Arduino, the LED(s) that you want, and a button.
Get the button push to trigger the LED lighting that you want.
Them make a version of it that uses the impact sensor from the pet store ball instead of a button.

that sounds like a fun way to go about it. thanks!