lighthouse leds

I have 16 strings of 5630 leds (6 Leds on each string) i put them around a piece of pvc pipe and put it under a glass jar for the lighthouse light. If you wonder how i cam up with 16 it is what fit around the pipe so they are all next to each other. I would like to be able to turn on one then have a second one come on then the third come on with the first going off. So it looks like it is rotating and having always 2 on at the same time. Does anyone know what kind of a board or programing i would need or if it can even be done. I want something that i can setup once and leave it in the lighthouse. Its my first venture into arduino and i want to see if i can do it.

Begin by reading any book on the topic to get the basics and build from this. You state that it is something YOU want to do, so do the leg work then come back when stuck. Five thousand six hundred and thirty leds along with some current limiting resistors that is a lot of soldering. Try investigating shift registers, then consider timing. BUT please get some basics under your belt and start small, then build from this. A basic shift register circuit is available in most introductory books to Arduino which will get you up and running using 8 LEDs.

PS 16 x 6 = 96

5630 is the size of the smd LEDs I guess. So you have 16 strips wit 6 LEDs each. You need 16 switches then to connect the 16 strips to 16 arduino pins. Programming is easy, several lines of code. Tell us what voltage source you have handy, what are the LED parameters (or post a link to the specific LEDs), what current you want feed the LEDs with.

Wow, I really should go decimal. I see the 5630 LEDs as sold on eBay- it does look like all or nothing (all on or all off) so I'll butt out and watch this with interest.

Start with the [u]Blink Example[/u]. Once you understand that, it shouldn't be too hard to blink more LEDs in a particular pattern/sequence.

If you are new to programming, you can try the "long way" first, but If you use a [u]loop[/u], you can increment the I/0 port(s) each time through the loop ("counting up" to 8 or 16) and you won't need a string of 16 separate digitalWrite statements. (Loops are one of the two most important concepts in programming. The other important concept is conditional branching such as if-statements.)

In your case it might not matter because your program doesn't need to do anything else. But, it's generally "bad practice" to use delay() (like the Blink Example), because the processor can't do anything else while it's sitting there waiting/delaying. Take a look at the [u]Blink Without Delay Example[/u].

The Arduino Uno only has 14 digital I/O pins, but [u]this page[/u] shows you how to program a couple of analog input pins for digital output, so 16 "channels" should be no problem.

You won't be able to drive a string of 6 LEDs directly from one I/O port. You'll need to boost the voltage. For that, you'll need a higher voltage supply (maybe 18 or 24 volts) and some MOSFETs (or driver chips, or something). You'll need the specs (voltage & current requirements) fo the LEDs before you can design the hardware.

The 5630 is the leds i bought off the internet. They came with a 12v 5a power supply. They dont need 5 amps it only uses less than 1 it says for 300 of them. I have a different circuit i found online using some timer chips but i couldn't get it to work. It wasnt blinking them in order it just seemed to randomly do it. i thought maybe i could use this for it.