line following robot project

hello all, new to arduino, even newer to adafruit motor shield.

I need to connect an infared sensor Pololu QTR-8 to a motorshield (connected to arduino) I have no clue where to connect it on the motorshield. The motorshield provided to me by school has pin headers on all the digital and analog pins (most outer ones) the one on the tutorial has pin headers on the next pins towards the inside. whats the difference between those holes??

I have experience with the 2 DC motors that I need to connect to, but I don't have a single clue on the Infared sensor!
please help!!!!

The Pololu QTR-8 reflectance sensors had two different output formats: the QTR-8A outputs an analog voltage between 0 and Vcc that can be measured by an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and the QTR-8RC outputs require a digital I/O line capable of driving the output line high and then measuring the time for the output voltage to decay (which provides an analog measurement of reflectance).

Output format for the QTR-8A: 8 analog voltages ranging from 0 V to supplied voltage
Output format for the QTR-8RC: 8 digital I/O-compatible signals that can be read as a timed high pulse

Arduino Library for the Pololu QTR Reflectance Sensors

QTR-8A and QTR-8RC Reflectance Sensor Array User's Guide

we can make line following robot using ldr i found infromation in this site i had provided the link below copy paste it very good site

http://gbotics.weebly.com/arduino-projects.html