Line Following robot

Hello,

I'm searching for suggestions in what direction to head in terms of sensors for my project. Im trying to build a line following car, but I need it to sense curves that are about a foot away so that it can slow down for them.

I don't think ill be able to use an array of infrared sensors for this project as they wont be able to sense the curves ahead.

any ideas? thanks

Camera and video experimenter shield.

How will your robot see a line on the ground that far away?

If the line made no hard corners the robot could slow down as it went into turns. If the width of the line could be detected then width could be tied to speed....

GoForSmoke: How will your robot see a line on the ground that far away?

If the line made no hard corners the robot could slow down as it went into turns. If the width of the line could be detected then width could be tied to speed....

I'm a complete newb so I'm not sure on what kind of sensor to use so that the robot can see the line on the ground. Groove mentioned a camera, but will an Arduino board be suitable for use with a camera?

Groove mentioned a Camera and video experimenter shield.

Hope you got lots to spend, time and money.

That's why I mention possibly changing the line to give the bot more information. Then you can sense right under the front of the bot which is easier by far. Narrow line for fast, wide line for slow (or should it be the other way?), non-blocking code for quick response and your bot should handle reasonable courses at good speeds.