Linear Actuator Thrust confusions

Say a linear actuator has a thrust of 200n. That means it can lift anything with 20kg or less of mass placed directly above it. What if, however, that this mass is hung to the side of actuator? My thing only weighs 12 kg, but it’s connected to the actuator through a rod of 25cm. The actuator will still be able to lift it, right?

Say what type of linear actuator you have and what the weight of the rod is.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Say what type of linear actuator you have and what the weight of the rod is.

Paul

The rod is only 400g, and I have an Actuonix L16-R Miniature Linear Servo(150:1 gear ratio).

Straight on end or hung by the side, the weight will be the same. Weight is weight, right?

As you know they do not rate the bending resistance for their device and that is what you are creating. Since it seems to be made from light aluminum, I suggest it will bend with any weight hung on the side.

Paul

Claire_Redfield:
Say a linear actuator has a thrust of 200n. That means it can lift anything with 20kg or less of mass placed directly above it. What if, however, that this mass is hung to the side of actuator? My thing only weighs 12 kg, but it's connected to the actuator through a rod of 25cm. The actuator will still be able to lift it, right?

Linear actuators are designed for in-line loads only, any torque applied to it could jam the mechanism.

The symbol for the newton is 'N', not 'n', which is a prefix meaning nano (10^-9)