linear acutuator and door

I would like to control a chicken house door with a linear actuator (16") from the internet. I am new to arduino but have some electronic experience. can someone please point me in right direction for the boards i need to get started. i just need to control the door up and down to fixed positions. From what i understand the actuators use reverse polarity to move it up and down so i think it just need 2 relays? i have wired Ethernet to the controller so i dont need wifi. I would like to keep this as cheap as possible. Having the system on a timer also would be great but not necessary. any help would be great.

thx

Have you wired up a switch to the actuator so you can switch it manually?

An Arduino will need a relay shield (2 relays required) or a H-bridge motor control shield. It's most probable that your actuator is a DC motor, so you don't need a servo controller, ESC or stepper controller. (The other main types of motor control, for different motors.)

"H-bridge" is important because that's what makes it reversible and you need to be able to drive in both directions.

2 relays. one changes direction of the motor, the other turn power on and off. one has to be a DPDT relay so you can swap wires to reverse direction.

I would like to control a chicken house door with a linear actuator (16") from the internet.

A lot about chicken coop doors. A linear actuator might not be the most appropriate door actuator.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=coop&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc%2Findex&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

dave-in-nj: 2 relays. one changes direction of the motor, the other turn power on and off. one has to be a DPDT relay so you can swap wires to reverse direction.

Or two SPDT relays, where the NC contacts go to the positive motor voltage source, and the NO contacts go to the motor ground point, and the center common contacts go to each side of the motor. Activate one or the other side to change direction of the motor, and both "off" acts as an EM brake (no freewheel in this design).

It's best to use SPDT relays in this manner, as it is easier to get a high current (30-50 amps) SPDT relay than it is to get the same in DPDT format (this is only necessary if your motor draws a lot of current of course).

If you want freewheel capability, a second SPST relay can be introduced between the positive of the motor voltage source and the SPDT relays. If you want speed control, an NPN or N-channel MOSFET (of sufficient amperage capability) can be added between the NO contacts and ground (just don't PWM the device while switching the relays - as arc-welding of the contacts may result).