linear motion position sensor

Hi,

is it possible to operate the following linear motion position sensor from Arduino 5V?

http://www.ixthus.co.uk/images/pdf/pz12linearmotionpositionsensors.pdf

• It has voltage divider output (potentiometer?)

• maximum 60V input - probably DC?

• power consumption 3W - 10W = does that mean that it takes up to 2A current for input voltage 5V?

It is possible to use it with arduino. Connect blue cable to VCC, brown to GND and yellow to any arduino's analog input. Its resistance is 1kOhm so for 5V power supply you'll get 5mA current draw .

Thanks a lot.

What does the power consumption 3W - 10W then mean? I thought that 5V * 5mA = 0.025 Watts, not 3 Watts.

EDIT:

I would like to use the one that has resistance 2kOhm. Is it still ok to have 2.5mA?

I think it is the max power it can handle. The most important part is resistance. With 2kOhm youll get smaller current witch is even better.

I think it is the max power it can handle. The most important part is resistance. With 2kOhm youll get smaller current witch is even better.

That's correct: The device is a potentiometer, and as that, it has an absolute maximum power that is able to sink. The span (3 - 10 W) depends on the stroke (the larger it is the more heat can dissipate).

An offtopic: the manufacturarer announces "infinite" resolution. From the wiki

The resolution of a sensor is the smallest change it can detect in the quantity that it is measuring

Well, anycase it should say "infinitely small" (even in this case it wouldn't be true . . . . :D)

Regards