[Linear motor] Arduino Serial comm crashes

Dear community,

I've been trying to get a production PCB working after having built a working Prototype PCB.

I've diagnosed the problem back to a linear motor that I'm reversing the polarity of by using a relay.

Between 1 and 10 retractions of the motor I suddenly lose Serial Communication with the Arduino, also some sensor suddenly don't work correct.

I've made the production PCB with the diagram below.
I've tried extra diodes and capacitors at various location, all didn't work.
Imgur

I have done a test with a H-bridge following the link below:
I just copied the 2. Movement part.
http://mech.vub.ac.be/teaching/info/mechatronica/finished_projects_2012/Twinbot1/electronics/component_selection.html

This also still doesn't work.

I'm using the Linear Motor below:
hiwin las-1-1-50-24G
http://www.hiwin.com/html/linear%20actuators/las.html

I appreciate any help I can get!

Best regards,
Pebbles

Between 1 and 10 retractions of the motor I suddenly lose Serial Communication with the Arduino, also some sensor suddenly don't work correct.

Sounds like a power supply issue.

hey,
I was having a similar issue. Also tried all sorts of solutions, diodes, capacitors, different power supplies, you name it. Ultimately I ended up using optocouplers on all my io pins. This has been a godsend. Fixed all my issues. I suggest you concider doing the same. have a look:
http://rhysmossom.com/2013/09/01/arduino-v-drive-plotter/

I've a BaseTech BT-305 lab powersupply, so it's not pure China made.
I've also tested with a variabel notebook powersupply set at 24V.

Do you have a suggestion how I can check if the power supply is at fault here?

check your amperage. What might be the issue is you are either drawing too much from the usb. but really I suggest using optocouplers. the seperation they provide not only saves your arduino but will save you time too!

Those actuators have end switches built in.
That site doesn't tell whether those are fixed or can be set.
Are you sure the stroke of the actuator isn't longer than the movement you are trying to do ?
And aren't you reversing directions too fast (both resulting in a much higher current than you would see if you're just moving the actuator) ?
If you are reversing directions too fast, you might need another relay to switch power to the actuator next to this one you've already got and that selects direction.

Pebbles:
I've a BaseTech BT-305 lab powersupply, so it's not pure China made.
I've also tested with a variabel notebook powersupply set at 24V. Do you have a suggestion how I can check if the power supply is at fault here?

The actuator can pull up to 5A. Measure the output voltage of the power supply while the actuator is moving. Is the arduino also powered from the same power supply as the actuator? Below is a relay setup for controlling a motor. Your actuators should already have the limit switches.

edit: also, what is the power supply powering the relay control?

The two likely causes of reset are:

power brown-out (the Arduino 5V drops when the 24V supply is temporarily
overloaded and cuts out) - only possible if your 5V is derived from the 24V supply.

Inductive pickup - some of the high current circuit for the actuator/relay/power supply runs
near the Arduino or alongside its cabling and induces a voltage due to electromagnetic
induction. The higher the currents being switched, the more likely this is.

Basic rule is don't run high current circuits next to sensitive logic circuits, paralleled wiring
especially causes crosstalk. Always run high current wire pairs together, ideally as
a twisted pair, so that the equal and opposite currents cancel out. Don't have big loops.

There is also a possibility of capacitive pickup, which is due to high voltages being switched,
but this is easier to screen out (screened cables).

Hi Pebbles.

I've made the production PCB with the diagram below.
I've tried extra diodes and capacitors at various location, all didn't work.

The diagram is only of the relay drive circuit, can you send one that has ALL the components, including Arduino pin connections and its power supply.

Have you tried the extra capacitors around the arduino.
Also are you supplying the Arduino with a separate supply, or is it a regulated 5.0V from the 24V supply.

Hope we can help, Tom... :slight_smile: