Linear Potentiometer/Incremental Rotary Encoder steering wheel?

Hey all,

So I want to make a steering wheel using an arduino uno and some cheap sensor (From my research it looks like potentiometers and rotary encoders seem to be the way to go) in order to make a drive by wire steering wheel - assuming I used that language correctly. The goal is to make a steering wheel for an electric go kart that I am making. I have found many tutorials online on how to make force feedback and complex steering wheels, but could someone give me an idea of how to get started with doing this? Could I just attach a wheel to a potentiometer and be done? How would I measure the angle of the wheel?

Thanks!

Well, if you connect 1 of the pot's outside terminals to 5 volts, the other to ground and the center (wiper) to an analog input pin, you would read a number from 0 to 1023 as the ADC result, say the pot rotates 270 degrees end to end then 1023 / 270 = 3.789 counts per degree or degrees = ADC result / 3.789, so if your ADC result was 512 (midpoint) degrees = 512 / 3.789 = 135 degrees. Now, force feedback is a whole 'nother ball of wax, I wouldn't know where to start myself. :confused:
You could also do degrees = ADC / 3.79 - 135 to get -135 (full left) to 0 (straight ahead) to 135 (full right).

To make drive-by-wire you need to measure two things: the input requested by the driver and the actual position of the steered wheels. Then the control system tries to steer the wheels towards the requested position.

I would start with measuring both of these with potentiometers. The main limitation is regular pots only go 3/4 of a turn and steering wheels usually go more (but not on a kart.)

A thread about automotive steering encoders.

Thanks so much! I will try to do everything that was mentioned! I am not looking to make a force feedback wheel btw, just a wheel that measures angle, basically.

Thanks!