Linino vs. OpenWRT

Hi,

I'm new to the Yun and I learned that there are two possibilities - Linino or OpenWRT.

I found Linino while looking for AllJoyn related things using Yun.

So my (maybe stupid) question is - what shall I use?
AFAIK - OpenWRT seems to be more stable and better supported.

Are there restrictions (compared to Linino) - especially when it's about AllJoyn capabilities?

Manfred

• Openwrt
  • Linino
  • YunOS

YunOS will give you easy life. Openwrt might support advance features.

Thank you sonnyyu.

So brought in one more option...

Here I found (linked right with ...Yun) that I should install lininoIO...
I'm really new to this kind of stuff - but if I understand this correctly it means that I install a new OS on the Yun, am I right?

Which (I think) is again a different thing than linino itself...
Furthermore it seems as if this system (lininoIO) occupies the ardunio part - so instead of writing sketches I will have to access everything through linux...

Maybe it is better to explain what I want to achieve:
I want to connect a sensor board to my yun run alljoyn there and provide the signals via alljoyn.
So the system should look as if it is an alljoyn enabled sensor board.

ATM I can run a sketch which provides the signals via a web interface on the yun...
Building (and running) the alljoyn part is where I got stuck...

By the way - I come from "the Windows Side" (x86 ASM, C, C++, C#) so this kind of things are pretty new for me.

for any module from

http://www.linino.org/linino-modules/

exclude Arduino Yun, use Linino then.

Arduino Yun with YunOS:

opkg update
opkg install alljoyn alljoyn-config alljoyn-notification ...

so ~?
openwrt and linino what kind of difference
the same yun ,but different system
i donot know why do this

lininin:
the same yun ,but different system
i donot know why do this

Actually, not necessarily the same Yun. A while back (over a year now) there was a falling out between the Arduino founders, and there was a rift. Originally, there was arduino.cc (this site) and then one of the founders split off and has also called his company Arduino (and uses the domain arduino.org.) This is very unfortunate as it causes a lot of confusion to the users.

A board made by arduino.cc will come with a version of OpenWRT that is branded for the a Yun. (Perhaps that's what sonnyyu means by YunOS? I don't know what is the official meaning of that name.) That system software can be downloaded from this arduino.cc site. Such a Yun will have a default WiFi name that includes the word Arduino, and will have a default password of arduino.

A board made by arduino.org will come with Linino, which is their own version of OpenWRT. It can be downloaded from arduino.org. My understanding is that it is roughly equivalent to the arduino.cc software, but there are some notable differences: the default WiFi name includes the word Linino (not Arduino) and the default password is doghunter (not arduino.) It also includes an additional sketch-to-Linux communications library named Ciao. There may be other differences, but I don't have experience with Linino.

You could also download and install a generic OpenWRT build from openwrt.org, but it won't have the specific enhancements that tune it for the Yun platform (although there may be packages available to give most of those functions.)

To add more confusion, there is also a clone Yun Shield made by Dragino. This has it's own Linux system. It is quite similar to the system software from arduino.org and arduino.cc, but I hear it is NOT interchangeable because the hardware is not 100% the same - there are some system software changes to accommodate the hardware. There have been reports of problems running the arduino.cc system software on the Yun Shield, and I would assume you would have similar problems if you were to load the Yun Shield software on an official Yun board.

I would think you would want the system software from arduino.cc or arduino.org. I think either one will run on either company's board, but you can't go wrong using the system software specific to you actual board's manufacturer. Unless you have a specific reason for it, I would not use a generic OpenWRT load from openwrt.org - that is an advanced option, and from your questions, you don't appear to have the experience needed to make it really work (don't feel bad, I don't either!) I would stay away from the Dragino Yun Shield system software unless you actually have a Yun Shield, in which case that's the only system software version I would use.

So, which one: arduino.cc (OpenWRT) or arduino.org (Linino)? I think they are mostly interchangeable, and you won't really go wrong with either? Where will you go for most of your help? Here or over at arduino.org? I would probably choose the system software from whichever site you choose, as the people on that site will be most familiar with their own version, and you are therefore most likely to get the best answers that way.

Personally, I use OpenWRT from arduino.cc. My only experience with any of the others is trying to help people when they run into problems with the other versions because they don't realize that there are some differences.

Hello Yun Fans!

I (Whidbey Bill) have 3 Yuns from the arduino.cc version that have been successfully working for some time. I am going to expand my network now and need a few more Yuns. I bought one and its box says: Go to Arduino.org for software.

So I registered and posed a few questions to Support about my options and got a crummy response: Go to the Forum and you'll find answers. Clearly they don't understand that we are NOT all experts. If it weren't for the exceeding great help here I wouldn't be running Yun's successfully for nearly a year now.

I have a new YUN (A000008) still in an unopened box and don't want to 'brick' it. I would buy the original arduino.cc versions with OPENWRT if I knew how.

Anyway, it is by necessity that all of my Yuns on the network have the same firmware and software to eliminate future programming and interface issues. I never got an answer from ORG either about compatibility of the Arduino IDE versions CC 1.6.11 and the ORG 1.7.

Sonnyyu and Shapeshifter, you all have both been very helpful in the past. May I say your composition and explanations in 'English' are far more polished, as well!!!

I think what I would like to do is reflash the new Yun Boards I buy to the firmware version in the first three. That way I can keep the modules I have fully active and not lose data points during the transition.

Any chance that is possible? After booting and opening the AP web-server the old YUN firmware and interface would recognize a firmware image on the SD card and option to load it. Does that still work on the new YUN, does anyone know?

I am not prepared to open the box on the new unit and find I have to re-write my upgrade and customizing procedures. Maybe the only option going forward is to upgrade all the Yuns to the ORG firmware (LininoIO OS) but I don't relish that learning curve, either.

A little guidance here would be much appreciated.

Whidbey Bill
Whidbey Island, WA, USA.

WhidbeyBill:
I think what I would like to do is reflash the new Yun Boards I buy to the firmware version in the first three. That way I can keep the modules I have fully active and not lose data points during the transition.

I have no personal experience here, but if I were in your shoes (and I probably will be at some point) this is probably what I would try to do.

I don't know exactly what differences there are, if any, between the .cc and .org boards, and the .cc OpenWRT and .org Linino. I have four arduino.cc Yuns, from before the breakup, and they are all running OpenWRT 1.5.3 from arduino.cc. I had bought them for a specific project requiring some distributed sensing, but have since dedicated three of them to other projects. So if I ever do get back to the original large project, I'm going to need some more Yuns, and it looks like they will have to come from arduino.org. So I suspect I will eventually be in your shoes.

I don't know whether it would work, but if I get to that point, I would probably experiment with one of the new Yun boards and try to load version 1.5.3 of OpenWRT from arduino.cc on it. To do so, there is a very good chance that it will require going through the entire manual UBOOT update sequence update. I would not be surprised if just running the system upgrade process would not work due to UBOOT/kernel compatibility issues. (Much like the problems people were having with 1.6.2 before it was pulled and the arduino.cc site went back to 1.5.3,

I'm not suggesting that you should do this: if you do so, it's at your own risk. I'm just saying what I would be tempted to do if I were in your position.

C and C++ Is On The Linux side just an FYI

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.