Linux AVR ISP Programmer Adapter USBasp question

I have some Arduino Pro Minis and Nanos that do not work anymore, I cannot program them with Arduino IDE.

I bought AVR ISP Programmer Adapter USBasp for trying to install the Arduino bootloader in order to reanimate the problem microcontrollers. Unfortunately no device gets assigned when connecting USBasp, I tried on a red hat and on a ubuntu linux. This is what gets added to "/var/log/messages", shown by "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages":

Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: new low speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=16c0, idProduct=05dc
Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: Product: USBasp
Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: Manufacturer: www.fischl.de
Nov  8 21:28:07 foobar kernel: usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

From what I googled the line telling which device (eg. /dev/ACM0) gets assigned is just missing, so I cannot access the programmer.

What can be the reason that no device gets assigned to this new programmer?

Hermann.

On Ubuntu you would fix this by creating a udev rule for the usbasp device:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ubuntu+usbasp+rules&oq=ubuntu+usbasp+rules&aqs=chrome..69i57.11674j0j4&client=ms-android-om-lge&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

HermannSW:
What can be the reason that no device gets assigned to this new programmer?

USBASP doesn't need any device. Avrdure talks to it directly via (lib)usb.
Check running:

avrdude -c usbasp -p atmega328 -v

Udev rule is needed only when you want to use it from normal account (non root).
My udev rule (/etc/udev/rules.d/99-USBasp.rules):

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTR{idProduct}=="05dc", MODE="0666"