Linux problems with uploading

Hi,
I just started with Arduino 1.8.5 I'm using arduino uno, I'm using Ubuntu 17
Plugging in the arduino, the green light come on, blinking too. But I can't upload a standard sketch. Zilch! I get "permission denied' I did look at the guide and troubleshooting. It refers to ttyACMO and ttyUSBO. I used the terminal to search - neither of those 2 can be found anywhere in the Arduino program. So..... why is that?

My bet is you're not in the "dialout" group.

In the Linux terminal type: groups yourname

If you don't see dialout then:

sudo gpasswd -a yourname dialout

ardnew21:
Hi,
I just started with Arduino 1.8.5 I'm using arduino uno, I'm using Ubuntu 17
Plugging in the arduino, the green light come on, blinking too. But I can't upload a standard sketch. Zilch! I get "permission denied' I did look at the guide and troubleshooting. It refers to ttyACMO and ttyUSBO. I used the terminal to search - neither of those 2 can be found anywhere in the Arduino program. So..... why is that?

If you don't see either ttyACM0 or ttyUSB0, then you may have a charge-only cable and not a data cable.

I get ttyACM0 when I plug in my Arduino Uno.
I get ttyUSB0 when I plug in a USB-TTL adapter that is needed for an Arduino Pro Mini which does not have a built-in bootloader.

Hi,
Thanks, that was petty easy, the dialout thing worked, can now upload sketches.
I haven't yet paid too much attention to the cables, just using a simple USB to power the Uno.
Brings to mind a question though.
Just waht are alll those tty files (if they are files) in the dev directory?? Although I can now upload, I still don't see the ttyACMO anywhere.
Also, the whole Arduino IDE is being run by C++ correct? all the examples.
If I want to fool around with python scripts (like python3+) can you point me to some sort of primer for doing that - with the Arduino Uno) I think I already installed 2 versions of python (and pip) in Ubuntu 17.