Linux Serial Monitor

Hello,

The serial monitor in the IDE doesn't work for me, sometimes I can see a window popup briefly but often nothing. Using picocom on /dev/ttyACM0 works (if I switch the IDE to the network device node).

Running Ubuntu 12.04, Arduino IDE 1.6.4 (nightly build) with a Yun. The serial monitor seems to popup and stay up without any problem when running on WinXP. I wasn't sure if this feature was supported on Linux but have seen a thread implying it did ? ... definitely would be nice to have :slight_smile:

... Niall

Just a followup … it would seem that the serial monitor is indeed coming up but there is some interaction between the IDE and my desktop. On Ubuntu 12.04 I couldn’t see anything but on 14.04 it is making a new window for it (shown as an active window on my sidebar) but when I try to select it via the desktop doubleclick it always goes to the editor window instead of the serial monitor.

Weirdness particular to Ubuntu probably, any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

This was happening to me. The window manager was throwing the serial monitor up on a different virtual desktop. You can find it by right-clicking on the Arduino icon in the panel.