Linux 'Serial port not found'

Despite following the instructions elsewhere on this forum for setting up a USB port to talk to my Diecimila, I'm still getting the serial port not found error. I can send/receive data from a command prompt in a terminal session, but nothing in or out when in the Arduino IDE. I've done a chmod and chown on it without success, too.

This is on a SuSE 11 box that does not have brltty installed (that I can find, anyway).

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers?

it works on my 11.0 system, no problem (32bit). had to put the user into the uucp group, restart IDE and select /dev/ttyUSB0.

DMerriman: what device is the Arduino on? Did you select it from the Tools > Serial Port menu? Exactly what error do you get? When?

DMerriman: what device is the Arduino on? Did you select it from the Tools > Serial Port menu? Exactly what error do you get? When?

The Arduino is on ttyUSB0. I can send/receive from a command line, but the IDE never shows me a serial option of ttyUSB0 -- just ttyS0 (I have just one COM port, which has my Palm cradle [sans Palm] on it).

You might try editing your preferences file (in ~/.arduino/preferences.txt) and setting serial.port to /dev/ttyUSB0. Then run Arduino and try uploading. Also, if you have software that communicates with the Palm, you might try quitting it first, as it’s possible it’s scanning multiple serial ports.

I'll say it again:

---> the user MUST be a member of the UUCP group to make it work. I had the very same "error" (misconfiguration) ! ---> this also affects several other dirs that are only writable for members of uucp (e.g. /var/lock/)

device files are created by UDEV every time you plug it in, so chmod chown will not help for long, and it is only a partial fix ( works for: echo "some text" >/dev/ttyUSB0 ). be sure to restart the X-session after you've put your user into the uucp group.

after that /dev/ttyUSB0 will appear in the IDE menu (Tools > Serial Port).

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!

I found the fscking problem.

I had the cable for the Arduino plugged into a USB hub which was plugged into my system. When I finally unplugged the hub and plugged it back in again, everything started working the way it should.

I swear to FSM, computers are going to be the death of me....

Anyway, to all that answered and tried to help: [smiley=dankk2.gif]

sigh