LIPO battery charging

Hi everyone, so I just bought a 3.7V 200mAh Li-Poly Battery from ebay and was wondering about the best way to charge it. Its a fairly small thing with just two wires coming out of it, the thing is I got a complete wall charger thing with it as well. But I was looking at the wall charger and well the whole thing looks real cheap, the AC adapter has an output of DC 5v plus or minus 0.20v. But essentially it has a USB plug where I connect the USB cable in. That thing also looks real cheap, and it comes out to a proper mini battery clip, which doesn't connect since my batteries are just bare wires.

Is it okay to charge off this? especially taking the voltages into consideration?
Here is a picture

The other thing is since its just a bare wire 3.7v, can I just connect it straight to the 3.3 volt of my arduino and charge it that way, as I reckon that would make it much easier.
Lastly I'm hoping to use this for my arduino mini, should I connect it to the RAW or VCC, the way I understand it raw has its own regulator while vcc doesn't so I figured raw would be the best option due to the decrease of voltage over time, but that doesn't seem to work? and only when I connect to VCC do I see my arduino start up. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Cheers

I would be carful when charging LIPO’s… they can explode. For charging I would use something like this…

https://www.sparkfun.com/wish_lists/70758

Make sure you add a connector to the bear leads to lessen the chance of shorting the battery.

Does the LiPo have a printed circuit board with charging circuitry on it? Connecting a LiPo to a 5V USB supply without charging circuitry is a good way to start a fire.

Don't connect the LiPo to a 3.3V source with an unknown current limit, either. If you feed a LiPo excessive current, it will burn. LiPos MUST have a proper charger or they burn. If you want to mess around with batteries, mess around with NiMH. Lithium is very unforgiving.

Thanks for the information guys, umm in terms of circuit board it looks like it has a small one on it and the ebay listing says "Build with Circuit Board" so I think so? I didn't know that LiPo was that hard to take care of though. Can you get mini NiMh batteries like you can the LiPo?

I think I will definitely buy one of those circuits to charge these batteries, if I'm going to use them for quite a while I think that will be the smartest thing to do and probably safest. But is there anyway I can really charge them until I get one that would be kinda safe?

trustnoone:
Thanks for the information guys, umm in terms of circuit board it looks like it has a small one on it and the ebay listing says "Build with Circuit Board" so I think so?

Well as long as that built-in circuit board has an appropriate charger, then you should be able to hook it up to that USB adapter.

Can you get mini NiMh batteries like you can the LiPo?

Not in the flat/rectangular shape, that I'm aware of. You can get standard AAA and shrink-wrap a pack though.

But is there anyway I can really charge them until I get one that would be kinda safe?

trustnoone:
Hi everyone, so I just bought a 3.7V 200mAh Li-Poly Battery from ebay and was wondering about the best way to charge it.

Judging by the story told to me yesterday by my neighbour down the street, the answer is "in a bucket of sand with a lid on, out in the yard".

Admittedly he was charging a copter battery, but he showed me the burns on his trousers and apparently he needs a new mouse too. Was the mouse anywhere near the battery to start off with? Of course not! Neither was he.

lol yeah so I am very very surprised hearing how explosive this battery is, I think this battery is originally for a copter, but it was so tiny I didn't think too much of it. Looks like I'm just going to do the safest thing here and buy a proper charger, before I accidentally lose an appendage.
Thanks heaps everyone

You might be interested in this website SHDesigns - Lithium Ion Charger

…R

trustnoone:
I think this battery is originally for a copter, but it was so tiny I didn't think too much of it.

"Tiny" sounds reassuring, while "for a copter" makes me worry again.

On a totally different matter, did you pinch your "handle"/ moniker from Steve Gibson?

Every time I buy a LIPO battery I get this as well…

Robin2:
You might be interested in this website SHDesigns - Lithium Ion Charger

This looks interesting, I might check it out, I got a few parts laying around, and it might be fun to do, cheers for that, hopefully it will work well :D.

The LiPo sack looks really kool, and the warranty is awesome, I might look at getting one of these too, I wonder if I do, would I be able to send LiPo as luggage on an airplanes, as I travel quite a lot. I'm very surprised how scary these are, especially since it came to me in basically just a bubble wrapped bag all the way from china haha.

Paul__B:

trustnoone:
I think this battery is originally for a copter, but it was so tiny I didn't think too much of it.

"Tiny" sounds reassuring, while "for a copter" makes me worry again.

On a totally different matter, did you pinch your "handle"/ moniker from Steve Gibson?

haha how come for a copter is worrying? I'm starting to get a feeling that the battery is actually designed for a certain copter which is why the charger has a specific end probably designed to plug into it. I'm actually thinking of trying the charging in a bucket full of sand idea, if it charges then perfect, and if it doesn't well at least I'll be able to see how dangerous these can be lol.
haha I actually had to google what a handle or moniker was, but nah, I haven't actually seen that site before, looks interesting though. I actually got it a long time ago when I used to go onto how to hack websites, so I thought it was a kool name when I was a kid haha, how things have changed.