Lipo battery discharge and arduino pro mini 3.3v

I'm building a device that senses vibration and sends serial data via a bluetooth module connected to an arduino pro mini 3.3v, and so far I've been using a 3.7v, 370mAh lipo ipod nano battery for my tests, and it's worked fine. As I refine the device to a smaller size I'm trying to scale down on battery size as well, and when shopping online for batteries, most of them seem made for RC helicopter purposes and have an additional specification that my current lipo doesn't have printed on it, the "C" rating for discharge rate (in the case of the ones I just ordered before doing research, they are rated at "25C".)

I've done some google searches about that discharge rate and read some hobby forums but I can't find a clear answer about this that isn't about RC helicopters. Would 3.7v, 350mAH 25C batteries be a safe replacement for my current 3.7 volt battery (which I can't find discharge rate for)? If not, any suggestions for small lipo batteries I should use in its place?

Thank you, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum it seemed the closest fit to my problem

AFAIK, that means x-times the battery's mAh discharge current. So a 370mAh/25C battery can be discharged with a max current of 9.25Amp. C-rating is meaningless for your project, but important for high current/fast discharge devices. Leo..

biomechanic_ill: Thank you, I apologise if this is in the wrong forum it seemed the closest fit to my problem

It's a perfect fit! :grinning:

The common LiPo that for example, Adafruit uses for projects is actually an iPhone replacement, or similar.

Except for the tiny quad-copters, most RC model batteries are unbelievably more heavily rated and will simply run your diminutive project for a long time - as of course, you want.

If this is for long time use it should be charged to about 3.9v for longevity. Thats approx 1/2 capacity.

The “C” rating is related to the batteries internal resistance. The higher the rating the less internal resistance and therefore it can provide a higher current output without the voltage slumping as much.

Generally the higher the “C” rating the more expensive, thus a 15C battery will usually be cheaper than a 50C battery. For your use a lower “C” rating will work just as well as a high “C” rated battery, but either will do the job.

For RC use in helicopters, quadcopters, planes and cars the “C” rating is very important because of the high current draw of the motors, that’s why it’s always mentioned.

The c discharge rating is only important for rc use where sudden high current demand can be important. The construction of the cells is what dictates the maximum current.

Th batteries in mobile phone etc do not need to quote this. They are generally regularly cycled constant voltage standby use is not a good use for lipos. Lead acid are better