Liquid Temperature sensor/liquid SG monitor

Well, it's been about about a year since I was last on here, projects have come and gone. Now I've got something I'm actually going to be implementing in the next couple weeks.

Project summary: Using an Arduino Micro, I'd like to have atleast one of the following "sensors". Preferably 2 of each if not more.

I'm going to be culturing a bacterial inoculant for sale, this will be in 50 gallon vats in an enclosed building elsewhere on my property. Instead of regularly checking out there to take specific measurements, I'd like to be able to use the arduino to monitor liquid temperature as well as specific gravity via electrical continuity.

If I could bother some of you folks for help, I need help writing the code. I can compile bits and pieces of it, how to get temperature using a probe (TMP36), and translating the results into usable numbers, but I'm unsure which pins to use.

Ideally, as I stated before, I'd love to be able to have a temp probe and a continuity circuit in each vat, and as it stands now, I've got 2 vats, maybe more added on eventually.

I'll want this to take a reading every minute or so, as it takes a fair amount of time for the inoculant to over heat/cool down to the point of damaging it.

As for readout, I've got a mini-pc I'm keeping in the building, plugged into the micro for both power, and to use the serial monitor. Then accessing the mini-pc via Teamviewer remotely so I can view the results.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi,
A waterproof temperature sensor like THESE are easy to use. Code examples there too.

They are available with cables that are 1M, 4M, 10M long. I use them for indoors, outdoor, swimming pool heater etc.

Do a Google search for "arduino TMP36 tutorial". The first result gives you steps and source code.

What sensor are you using to measure the specific gravity?

terryking228:
Hi,
A waterproof temperature sensor like THESE are easy to use. Code examples there too.

They are available with cables that are 1M, 4M, 10M long. I use them for indoors, outdoor, swimming pool heater etc.

Thanks! I'll look into using those. I like the fact I can "daisy chain" each of them together.

mikb55:
Do a Google search for "arduino TMP36 tutorial". The first result gives you steps and source code.

What sensor are you using to measure the specific gravity?

Thank you as well! I won't be using a sensor as much as a resistance circuit like I used previously in my soil moisture sensor.

From my memory/research, different materials have different resistance. The inoculant I'm culturing, once fully cultures sits in a pool of it's own acid. Higher resistance = higher concentration of ions (more "water base means better conductivity, versus higher concentration of molecules/acid means less conductivity).