Liquidware Touchshield Slide programming error

Hi, I can't seem to get to first base with TS Slide. I tried the example below and got the problem where avrdude has a problem erasing the chip.

I am new to Arduino programming so this might be pretty basic.

Any ideas? Thanks!

void setup() { background(0,0,0); //this paints the whole background black stroke(0,0,255); //the outline of the next shape I draw will be blue fill(0,0,255); //the inside fill of the next shape I draw will be blue }

void loop() { gettouch(); //find out where a finger is touching ellipse(mouseX, mouseY, 3, 3); // draw an ellipse(x, y, width, height) }

Compiled OK, tried to upload to the Touchshield Slide: Got the following back:

[exec] reading ############################################################ 100% -0.00s [exec] [exec] avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801 [exec] avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified,an erase cycle will be performed [exec] To disable this feature, specify the -D option. [exec] avrdude: erasing chip [exec] avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: chip erase

BUILD FAILED C:\Program Files\Antipasto\hardware\arduino\cores\touchshield\build.xml:151: The following error occured while executing this line: C:\Program Files\Antipasto\hardware\arduino\cores\touchshield\src\template\build.xml:179: The following error occured while executing this line: C:\Program Files\Antipasto\hardware\arduino\cores\touchshield\config\build.ccmaros.xml:45: exec returned: 1

Board is Arduino UNO with new TS Slide, MS Win XP.

Did you follow these directions:

"After you compile the code above (which is a lot like how you program code for the Arduino, except you just have to select "TouchShield Slide" from the boards menu), and plug in the USB port from the computer to the Arduino, you then have to press the tiny little button on the side of the TouchShield Slide, which "resets" the shield, and puts it into a mode of waiting for code to come from the PC. The you press the "program" or "download" button in the Arduino IDE, and the code gets downloaded to the Slide. When it's done downloading, the TouchShield automatically resets itself, and the program you wrote starts running."

from

http://antipastohw.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-is-touchshield-slide.html

Hi James -- I should have documented further: Yes, I followed the directions, pressed the program button on the TSS. I used the Antipasto IDE to enter and compile the sketch for the TSS. I had a dialog with Mike at Liquidware and he told me to use the Arduino IDE to program the Arduino UNO board and use the Antipasto IDE (latest version) to program the TSS. This is what I have been trying without success. I have tried several easy sample-code sketches that I got from either the Liquidware Wiki site or their "Open Source Hardware DIY Gadgets" book. Nothing has worked so far.

ifrpilot: I had a dialog with Mike at Liquidware and he told me to use the Arduino IDE to program the Arduino UNO board and use the Antipasto IDE (latest version) to program the TSS.

The path names in the debug messages suggest you aren't using the Arduino IDE.

I'd push back on wherever you bought the thing you are using, connected to the Uno.

This was completely my problem. I installed the Antipasto IDE on a different, newer Vista laptop. Everything worked! I suspect the problem may have to do with the old Win XP laptop and USB V1, maybe being underpowered, etc.

At any rate, after compiling and uploading several sample sketches, the Liquidware Touchshield Slide seems to work fine.

And yes, the TSS works great with the UNO board.

Dave.