Literal project guidance..

Im sorry, but i actually have my own doubts if this complies with forum rules or not. If it Doesn't .. Please remove it after a little while as i really need help.

So, i have to make a project for science fair. This is actually representing my college( 12th grade..), so its really important. I want to make something that blows everyone of the bat. Few months ago,I made a slayer exciter and everyone seemed to like it. Which leads me to my question.

There are lots of interesting science phenomena that not many people know about, even me. But veterans like you know a lot of stuff like that. All im asking for is a direction, its really,really hard to find something if you dont know what your looking for. As i have a bit of electrical knowledge, i would love to do something on this subject. Aand i have been asking my teachers and friends help for about a week and they came up with.. Frankly no offense, lame stuff. ( laser intrusion alert?! Come on man)

kaseftamjid: So, i have to make a project for science fair. This is actually representing my college( 12th grade..),

I'm not familiar with school grades - what ages are the students in 12th grade?

I want to make something that blows everyone of the bat.

The things that impress people are the things that make them say "I would never have thought of that". That means that YOU have to think of something that has not occurred to other people.

Few months ago,I made a slayer exciter and everyone seemed to like it.

If you explain what a slayer exciter is we might have some idea of the sorts of things that you are interested in.

People on this Forum are interested in programming Arduinos but it's not clear if that is where your interest lies. We would probably be very impressed by an intrusion alert if it had been a challenge for the developer to create it. Novelty is interesting but not at all essential for a beginner. Showing that the person experimented and learned is more important.

Science fairs also value the project description that sets out clearly the problems that had to be solved to make the project work and how the developer figured out which options were best. A simple project that is well presented can be a lot more impressive than a complex project where it's not clear that the developer understands what s/he did and maybe just copied bits from her here and there.

...R

Robin2:
and maybe just copied bits from her and there.

Or from her and him. :grinning:

kaseftamjid: I want to make something that blows everyone of the bat.

When I first connected some neopixels up and had colours running up and down I sent a video to one of my friends and he was blown away by it. I took it to my 3 year old nephew who played with it for a short time then went off to do something else.

The problem with trying to find something that amazes people is that what amazes one person will not interest another.

Anyway, Tesla coils usually get a good reception.

something that blows everyone of the bat

I have no idea what that means.

Paul__B: Or from her and him. :grinning:

Thank you for your eagle eye. I have corrected it.

...R

I always thought the Kelvin Water Dropper was pretty cool.

Definitely something with high voltages, e.g. http://www.buxtronix.net/2011/09/high-voltage-capacitor-vs-cd.html

Milgram’s Experiment always draws the crowds.

Love o meter

The average person is impressed

Robin2:
I’m not familiar with school grades - what ages are the students in 12th grade?

we are from 17-19 years.

Robin2:
The things that impress people are the things that make them say “I would never have thought of that”. That means that YOU have to think of something that has not occurred to other people.
If you explain what a slayer exciter is we might have some idea of the sorts of things that you are interested in.

People on this Forum are interested in programming Arduinos but it’s not clear if that is where your interest lies. We would probably be very impressed by an intrusion alert if it had been a challenge for the developer to create it. Novelty is interesting but not at all essential for a beginner. Showing that the person experimented and learned is more important.

Science fairs also value the project description that sets out clearly the problems that had to be solved to make the project work and how the developer figured out which options were best. A simple project that is well presented can be a lot more impressive than a complex project where it’s not clear that the developer understands what s/he did and maybe just copied bits from her here and there.

…R

I have done quite a few science projects, and i absolutely agree. But i want to build something that mesmerises me.

A slayer exciter is basically a solid state tesla coil. With much much less efficiency.

A good explanation helps and in my mind its basically useless if the person doing the project doesnt understand it well…

PerryBebbington: When I first connected some neopixels up and had colours running up and down I sent a video to one of my friends and he was blown away by it. I took it to my 3 year old nephew who played with it for a short time then went off to do something else.

The problem with trying to find something that amazes people is that what amazes one person will not interest another.

Anyway, Tesla coils usually get a good reception.

3 year old... Wow, im surprised that your not surprised that he wasnt surprised...

A slayer exciter is basically a low key tesla coil

kaseftamjid: But i want to build something that mesmerises me.

Hmmm ...

I reckon the definition of something that mesmerises you is something that you are unable to do yourself :)

As you are in the 17-19 age group you will probably be thinking of a project that will look good on your CV when it comes time to apply for a job. I don't think it is necessary for the project to be spectacular in order to be impressive. Employers will appreciate evidence of hard work, research and learning in the field in which you would like to make a career. Genius is not expected and most people are not geniuses.

...R

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL: Milgram's Experiment always draws the crowds.

I think it would be quite 'shocking'.

But im looking for something electronics related...

Right of the bat. Imagine this, a baseball bat- a ball, batter hits, no one can find the ball..

So the bat is the project and the audience is the ball.. But it is preferred the audience doesnt disappear. I think we can do with one avengers movie a year

Robin2: Hmmm ...

I reckon the definition of something that mesmerises you is something that you are unable to do yourself :)

As you are in the 17-19 age group you will probably be thinking of a project that will look good on your CV when it comes time to apply for a job. I don't think it is necessary for the project to be spectacular in order to be impressive. Employers will appreciate evidence of hard work, research and learning in the field in which you would like to make a career. Genius is not expected and most people are not geniuses.

...R

The last time i was mesmerised was when i found that peltiers existed. But they need to go a long way before they are useful enough to be a valid cooling solution.. So evidently it doesnt need to be something that i dont know exist yet/i cant do.or something that makes me think, hey it can also work like this!

I just remembered how much i hate my countries system. Afaik, employers here dont look for projects i did. They just look for opportunities to ask for bribes. If they dont, people with power just make their place(who cares about knowledge?!). Something like this would only be useful if i can get admitted to somewhere abroad. I would love to have a career on this thing i love.

aarg: I always thought the Kelvin Water Dropper was pretty cool.

This is quite awesome, but is there any document that shows how much power this can output?.

6v6gt: Definitely something with high voltages, e.g. http://www.buxtronix.net/2011/09/high-voltage-capacitor-vs-cd.html

High voltage is interestin. But it needs to be on something useful. cue nuclear explosion

dave-in-nj: Love o meter

The average person is impressed

cue post-nuclear radiation Even i would be amazed if it was possible to calculate this phenomena..

kaseftamjid:
Right of the bat.

So, the opposite to left of the bat?

Hi, Don't have a lot of ideas for a specific project, but I suggest that whatever you decide on, do some thinking about planning before jumping. Not TOO much..But:

https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/Arduino-Project-Planning-Electrical

https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/Arduino-Project-Planning-Packaging-Mechanical

https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/Arduino-Project-Planning-Code

I have found that various TIME things can be interesting. Since Arduino can handle time well, you can do lots of strobe light things. users spin tops and fidget spinners, and change the strobe frequency to stop motion. A stream of water droplets appears to be stopped. 2 watt white LED modules work well.

Then a challenge: Drop different lengths of wood (like 2x4x??) down a large PCV pipe so they drop out the bottom. Tell how LONG they are with an arduino.

Or the classic reaction time test...

Or see THIS about things high school kids did with kits I made for their school system...

kaseftamjid: [the Kelvin Water dropper] is quite awesome, but is there any document that shows how much power this can output?

Why on earth would that matter? You could research that and get bonus points on your grade. It's not enough to kill anyone, if you're worried about that.

aarg: Why on earth would that matter? You could research that and get bonus points on your grade. It's not enough to kill anyone, if you're worried about that.

As much as i would love that ( THE POINTS THE POIINTS), they dont do it here. People judging the contest look for something intresting that we can explain. Mostly innovation not explanation.

Hatred thy system for not giving points on extracurricular activities