Live image from webcam on LCD display

This is a repost from the 'Displays' sub-forum

Hello there,

First post here, which is regarding a student project I am working on. I only have a very short Arduino course as background, so I am looking for a little advice.

What I want to achieve is to record a live image from a webcam and send it to a display, in this case the bottom display of a Nintendo DS Lite (not actually in the Nintendo anymore, but separate). If possible, it would be nice to avoid using a laptop as the project should be as mobile as possible, but it is not a requirement.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what parts I would need, or any related projects already described? Thank you!

Best regards,

• Claus

What I want to achieve is to record a live image from a webcam

In the 2K of memory on the Arduino?

and send it to a display, in this case the bottom display of a Nintendo DS Lite

Have you figured out how to connect this display to the Arduino? Have you been able to display ANYTHING on the display?

I only have a very short Arduino course as background, so I am looking for a little advice.

Forget the arduino, this project is not suitable for it. 1) It is not powerful enough to do anything with a live image greater than about 16 by 16 pixels. 2) It is not powerful enough to drive and refresh a display. So it fails at both ends.

I heard of a board called a Pinguino.
http://shop.pinguino.cc/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

Maybe that’s powerful enough? It uses the Arduino language as well, I believe.

This is a repost from the 'Displays' sub-forum

Duplicate (thankfully unanswered) post deleted - thanks for the heads-up.

DO NOT CROSS-POST.

Take a trip over to the 4D Systems forums.

This question has been asked before over there and they have processors that are dedicated to the display. They also sell a camera module. While it is possible using their gear, the refresh rate is really slow.

In fact, I am certain there is a YouTube video of them doing exactly this.

Why here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGO1Uj8k1ao

Notice the slow refresh.

Their displays are also rather pricey. If you are hoping to interface with an actual webcam, I think you will find that you are out of luck.

Thanks for the replies!

As I mentioned in my post, it would be best if I could avoid using external processing power. But what if I use my laptop (Processing) to send the signal via an Arduino to the LCD? I guess something like that would be possible?

And thanks for the link, I will have a look at it!

But what if I use my laptop (Processing) to send the signal via an Arduino to the LCD? I guess something like that would be possible?

Sure it is possible but have you worked out how long it will take to send each frame?

Suppose you set the baud rate at 115200 baud, it is 10 bits per byte so that is 11520 bytes per second.

Now suppose you have a display 320×240 shield (quarter VGA) on an arduino being refreshed by the shield's own internal memory, also assume it is monochrome with 8 bits per pixel to make the maths easier.

A 320 X 240 image contains 76800 pixels requiring 1 byte per pixel. So you need to transfer 76800 bytes at 11520 bytes per second. This means it takes 6.6 seconds to transfer one frame of video. Is this worth doing?

Play about with the assumptions, do you get anything that is acceptable to you?