LM 393 ir speed sensor + uno + adafruit control shield + wheel encoders

Hello,

this is my first project since building the kit so I'm totally new and would really appreciate some help.

I'm looking to buy the above sensors (LM 393) in order to control the speed of the motors.

I need to know how to wire the control board for 2 wheels and how the code will look/work.

I know this is such a simple thing but its the start of the learning curve!

Any help much appreciated.

Also if there is a better sensor for the typical wheel encoders that come with the kit then any suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Hello,

this is my first project since building the kit so I’m totally new and would really appreciate some help.

I’m looking to buy sensors (IR Infrared Radiation Velometer Sensor Module LM393) in order to count and control the speed of the motors.

I need to know how to wire the control board for 2 wheels and how the code will look/work.

I know this is such a simple thing but its the start of the learning curve!

Any help much appreciated.

Also if there is a better sensor for the typical wheel encoders that come with the kit then any suggestions welcome.

I’m using an UNO with adafruit control shield.

Thank you.

tubbsmx:
I'm looking to buy sensors (IR Infrared Radiation Velometer Sensor Module LM393) in order to count and control the speed of the motors.

The type of encoder you want will depend a lot on the motors you're using. The module you linked to looks like it's a single channel encoder. Single channel encoders are useful but quadrature encoders are even better. With quadrature encoders provide information about the direction the motor is spinning. Of course one usually already knows the direction the motors are turning so single channel motors are often good enough for controlling a motor's speed.

Can you give us a link to the motors you're using?

Adafruit is really good about providing sample code to use with their products. I think their motor shield is controlled via I2C. There should be sample programs available from the shield's product page.

Can you post a link to the module you are using? LM393 seems to be a comparator chip.

...R

I used "IR Infrared Radiation Velometer Sensor Module LM393" in ebay's search and it brought up a bunch items like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-IR-Infrared-Radiation-Velometer-Sensor-Module-LM393-Car-Accessory-/391201679172

DuaneDegn:
I used "IR Infrared Radiation Velometer Sensor Module LM393" in ebay's search and it brought up a bunch items like this one.

Perhaps the chip on the board is an LM393.

If that is the type of device the OP has it leads naturally to another question - how is the device being triggered by his moving wheel, and how many pulses are there per revolution.

I have a similar device (without a comparator) measuring the speed of my lathe chuck.

...R

@tubbsmx, do not cross-post. Threads merged.