LM339N Question

I understood that it was a zero crossing detector (hence my last comment). I did not realize (then) that it was an 8.25 mV window detector, which answers my question about the "threshold", except that it really isn't a "threshold" per se (technically it is of course) because that would be a point which separates one class of input signal (those below the point) from another (those above the point) but in the case of an AC signal , ALL signals CROSS the zero point so there is no distinction.
If , for example , the OP had a bandpass filter that blocks anything below a certain frequency (at which the amplitude falls below said "threshold" , say 33% below input amplitude) and everything above that frequency is above said "threshold", then one could correctly state that a "threshold" detector would separate frequencies below fc from frequencies above. The zero crossing detector separates nothing. It will detect ANY AC signal. Thus, I would not call it a "threshold" . I would call it the "zero crossing band (or window)", if only to distinguish it from what I described.

That still doesn't answer my question about this comment:

and the 1.0V reference voltage holds off anything under 40 Hz

and whether some explanation is warranted.
(thanks for clarifying the voltage divider issue)

The DC offset is small enough to call this circuit a zero crossing detector.
The slight offset is there to give the output a predefined state.
In this case, the -input is always at least 8.25mV higher than the +input.
So the output of the opamp is always low without an input signal.

A window detector uses a three-resistor voltage divider, and two opamps.
One opamp detects "higher than", and the other opamp detects "lower than".

As said, I think OP uses a generator that outputs a lower voltage at a lower speed.
You could detect a frequency threshold with that if you increase the DC offset.
But with an increased offset, it's not a zero crossing detector anymore.
Just a frequency detector.
Leo..