Load Cell target sensor

Hello everyone! I have an interesting project I’m working on where a shooting target will relay points back to the user. To do this, I want to use four bathroom type load cells and an Arduino. I know with a different reading from each load cell that are at the corners of the the target I can use algebra to find the location of impact. Any advice on the best way to approach this?

I think that you would need pretty fast sampling because an impact is a very short event. Also, for best accuracy, simultaneous sampling of the four load cells. That implies external ADCs, one for each load cell.

What material will be used for ammunition? As @groundFungus says, the time for the impact might be short. The harder ammunition, and target surface, the shorter the pulse will be.

Steel and either brass or lead. Small caliber like a .22. The load cells take a resistance reading to determine strain. I would have to program my xy axis and the cells would be at each corner but what method should I use to set that up?

Interesting project! Could You separate and tell about the intended bullet material and the target material? Talking about such "hits" a term called "the Q-factor" is used. Steel versus steel gives high impact values and short duration. Steel versus, f ex. wood, will give a lower Q-factor, a longer duration and lover values.

I don't know enough to tell how to simultaneously and fastly sample the loadcells using Arduino only. Using a ton of external high speed 4-channel ADC circuitry, sure, no problem, but that is not the number one game plan.

Quoting text received through the back door....

Lgilland:
The target material will be a fairly thin steel, no more than 1/4 an inch, and bullet material will be typical lead. I'm fairly new to coding so if you dont mind explaining, what do adc's do? Obviously less wiring and board is always better, and if it is possible to make the system work with just load cells and arduinos that would be preferable. The Arduino needs to calculate the impact moment and compute where the bullet impacted, that was i can write code that tells the shooter what area and point values were hit. Thanks again, Luke

Get Yourself an Arduino and a loadcell and start testing!
Make sure the Arduino reads the loadcell properly. Then start shooting!

I could think of a tight loop reading the input of the load cell signal. When the idle signal has changed some 5-10% start storing the data in an array together with the value of micros(). Use a for loop in order to not write data outside the array.

Then make a for loop print out the data on Serial. That could give You something to develope more.

Hello everyone! I have an interesting project I'm working on where a shooting target will relay points back to the user. To do this, I want to use four bathroom type load cells (three wire) and an Arduino. I know with a different reading from each load cell that are at the corners of the the target I can use algebra to find the location of impact. Any advice on the best way to approach this? I know that I will need high sampling but honestly I have never worked with an arduino and am not sure how to go about it. The basis is a brass or copper bullet hitting a steel target with 4 load cells... each reading a different value. I can create code to turn those values into a position. That's the easy part. What I need advice on is how to get individual readings from four load cells to one arduino uno. If I need external adc's, how do I make that work?
Any advice is appreciated!
-Luke G

There is already a topic like Yours. Find that and follow pick up the discussions there. I don't remeber the title. Maybe "shoting" something.

I've merged your cross-posts @Lgilland.

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a suspension from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky "How to use this forum - please read." post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Great, new to the forum guys. Just looking for advice.