load new sketch to arduino from sd card

I have an arduino uno r3
adafruit 802 shield 1.8" color tft w/micro sd and joystick

A bit about the project:
Building a Kart with a motorcycle engine. Using Arduino for control of shifting and throttle.

Objective:
I would like to have different sketches (say 5) saved on the SD card and be able to load them to the Arduino on the fly without a computer, using the Adafruit 802 shield

i would also like to use the Adafruit 802 to display the current gear the engine is in, unless the joystick is used.
I will be using hall effect sensors to detect movement of the shift linkage

right now i have throttle and shift control programmed and functioning just trying to implement the 802 with the above specified functionality.

If you are good at programming you may be able to write a special bootloader program for an Arduino that can load a program from a file on an SD card.

However even if you do that you cannot expect to switch programs in that way while your kart is working - the process will be too slow and fraught with the risk of errors.

I wonder if the functionality you need (and which you have not explained) would be better achieved by having 5 different functions within a single program. It is easy to write code to switch between different functions.

Tell us what you want to achieve and you will get better advice.

...R

How many posts do you need to ask one question? No one here likes double-posting.

load new sketch to arduino from sd card

Maybe you could delete the other copy of this thread from the "Displays" section and save the moderators some work?

J_Traits: I have an arduino uno r3 adafruit 802 shield 1.8" color tft w/micro sd and joystick https://www.adafruit.com/product/802

A bit about the project: Building a Kart with a motorcycle engine. Using Arduino for control of shifting and throttle.

Objective: I would like to have different sketches (say 5) saved on the SD card and be able to load them to the Arduino on the fly without a computer, using the Adafruit 802 shield

i would also like to use the Adafruit 802 to display the current gear the engine is in, unless the joystick is used. I will be using hall effect sensors to detect movement of the shift linkage

right now i have throttle and shift control programmed and functioning just trying to implement the 802 with the above specified functionality.

How big are your programs? How about considering them five modes of a single program? I would believe many parts would be similar.

Would it be sufficient to only load the engine operating map (or the like) from external storage?

@J_Traits, stop cross-posting. Several other threads removed and merged.

@J_Traits will be spending a few days sitting in the corner thinking about his inconsiderate behaviour.