Loading and running Arduino from Stored Table

We want to operate an Arduino-based control from values stored in an EXCEL file of a PC connected to the USB serial port.
It is a very slow process so we would only need a new set of values about once every 30 seconds. I don't know if its best to operate by reading values from the pc in real time once every 30 seconds or in some manner uploading the excel file to a table in Arduino's memory and operating in real time from the stored table.
Can anyone point me to a book or other source of Arduino how-to information on this subject?

Thanks,

Barry

Does the data in the excel sheet change? How much is there? If it’s static, you may be able to store it in progmem. If it’s too large for that, you could perhaps save the sheet as .csv and use an arduino (or shield) that has an SD card.

Nothing wrong with just transmitting the data from the PC either of course.

The Arduino is built into a still control and I cannot physically use an SD card or another Arduino to do this task. I think I am limited to creating an array in program memory and reading stored data from it every 30 seconds OR reading the data from a .cvs file in the attached pc.

I am logging 12 analog values and 7 single bit values every 30 seconds and a batch can take up to 12 hours to run, although if need be, we can substantially reduce the sample rate for about 6 of those hours.

I was hoping someone could steer me to a book or other publication or posting that would explain how to do this. I just don't want to spend the time re-inventing the wheel and a publication might enable me to make a better choice as to which way to go.

I haven't understand if you want write an excel reading values from arduino or if you want read an excel and send values to arduino.
However you can do both using my java open source library.
www.ardulink.org

Of course you have to integrate ardulink with a library that manage excel files. I suggest you apache POI.

oldradio:
We want to operate an Arduino-based control from values stored in an EXCEL file of a PC connected to the USB serial port.
It is a very slow process so we would only need a new set of values about once every 30 seconds. I don't know if its best to operate by reading values from the pc in real time once every 30 seconds or in some manner uploading the excel file to a table in Arduino's memory and operating in real time from the stored table.

Is the PC running a Windows operating system? If so you can use Gobetwino to enable the Arduino to read from a text file on the PC whenever it wants, just by writing Gobetwino commands to the USB serial port and reading back the response. If you save the Excel workbook as a CSV file then this would be compact to transfer and very easy to parse on the Arduino.

Whether you should read the file once or repeatedly really depends on how big the data set is, whether you can afford to hold it all in memory, whether you can afford to have the in-memory copy tied up for the time needed to download a new copy, whether the data is expected to change and how long you can afford to wait before the change takes effect in the Arduino.