Loading Arduino IDE on Chip

Hi,

For my project I want to download the Arduino IDE onto a Nordic Semiconductor nRF52832 BLE chip just like the Sparkfun nRF52832 Breakout Board -> Sparkfun Breakout Board Video .

I am trying to shrink my project down to fit the dimensions I am looking for but I would like to still use the Arduino IDE because its so convenient and so I can make changes easily. I want to design my circuit for a PCB and use only the esssential parts I need to save space. I don't know if I need to use the Cortex Debug Connector and the Serial Program Debugger to do this. ->SparkFun Breakout Board Schematic

Everything I have seen about just programming a bluetooth chip just uses ATcommands. I have never downloaded firmware onto a chip like this before and wanted to see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks

You don't download the Arduino IDE onto a microcontroller. The Arduino IDE is the "integrated development environment" software you use to write firmware code and upload it to your microcontroller.

AFAIK a Linux version of the IDE exists, if your chip supports such a system.

But I'm pretty sure that you don't want to run the IDE on your system, because it's useless without the standard headers, libraries and GNU toolchain.

Is there a different way I should go about programming the chip then? My thought was trying to use the Arduino IDE to program my chip like Sparkfun's product. I figure it should support it somehow since its used on the breakout board. I have never worked with building my own device before, I have only used development boards like the Uno and TI MSP430G2553. Sorry for lacking information on this, just trying to learn more and upgrade my project.

Thanks

"The IDE" implies that you want a screen and a keyboard to be able to write and debug programs.

Some Arduino-bluetooth variants allow "over the air programming" which allows you to connect a regular PC with the IDE, without cables. Usually that's a bad idea because you don't want to accidentally reprogram your home weather station when you're trying to reprogram the new project on your desk. Plugging in the cable makes it really obvious which one you are talking to.

There are a few other solutions that allow an Arduino to be reprogrammed from a stored binary on an SD card. Keep searching and I expect you will find something close to what you want.

The Arduino IDE runs on your computer. It doesn't run on the Uno or TI MSP430G2553 or whatever microcontroller you're uploading firmware to.

You can add support for the nRF52832 to the Arduino IDE by following these instructions: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5#installing

pert: The Arduino IDE runs on your computer. It doesn't run on the Uno or TI MSP430G2553 or whatever microcontroller you're uploading firmware to.

You can add support for the nRF52832 to the Arduino IDE by following these instructions: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5#installing

Thank you!

pert: You can add support for the nRF52832 to the Arduino IDE by following these instructions: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-nRF5#installing

Used that, impressive work from Sandeepmistry.

The BBC micro:bit is not bad when programmed in C\C++.