loading boot loader for 328p using breadboard

The only message I found was that the page giving loading the 328p boot loader said that it was for Arduino 1.0.x. Does that info also pertain to Arduino 1.8.5 or is there a page that gives the steps for Arduino IDE 1.8.5?

Also, what are the characteristics of the 16 MHz crystal that is used on the breadboard?

bobdeutsch:
The only message I found was that the page giving loading the 328p boot loader said that it was for Arduino 1.0.x.

Which page are you talking about? Post a link to it. Please use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make the link clickable.

bobdeutsch:
Also, what are the characteristics of the 16 MHz crystal that is used on the breadboard?

Check the datasheet. If you want a more specific answer you'll need to ask a more specific question.

I recommend reading this excellent tutorial:
http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard

I don't know what you mean by use the chain links but here is the address for the statement defining which version of Arduino to use:

The only info given about the crystal in any of the guides about loading the boot loader state only to use a 16 MHz crystal. The order form requires the data on the crystal to be inserted in the order form. The data sheet on the crystal provides all the characteristics that the crystal can provide. The user defines which ones. Any suggestions. I looked at the crystal on the UNO board but it doesn't give a part number, manufacturer or anything that could be used.

I am not a programmer and am just learning terminology. I'm an old hardware engineer 85 years of age.

Chain links icon on the toolbar:
Clipboard02.png

Any old 16 MHz crystal should do. I just grab whatever’s cheapest and haven’t had any problems.

You can get them anywhere that sells electronic components. Here in the US, I like Digikey if I’m in a hurry and want trustworthy parts. I’ve bought from Mouser also. Generally I haven’t noticed too much difference between the two but I will occasionally do comparison shopping if spending a lot of money or can’t find what I need on one or the other. Otherwise I buy from eBay or Aliexpress and wait for the shipping from China. Buying from the Chinese sellers ends up being significantly cheaper for small orders because shipping is free, whereas domestic shipping from Digikey or Mouser can cost more than the components order. Also, sometimes Digikey/Mouser have the minimum order set quite high and I’m just a hobbyist so I don’t need huge stocks of most parts. For larger orders the Digikey/Mouser shipping cost is not such a significant part of the cost and actually sometimes it ends up being about the same price for trustworthy parts from them that show up after a few days as it would be to buy sketchy parts that take weeks or even months to come from China.

I guess I will close my question and wait for some parts before I try to load the boot loader. Thanks for your time and trouble!