Loads of RGB leds RS485, serial & TLC5940

I’m working on a project that requires 10 “boxes” with 9 RGB leds. I would like to be able to control these leds individually via an interface with Flash (through Max/MSP).

I believe the best way to do this is to use 10 arduino mini’s, 10x2 TLC5940’s to drive the leds and MAX485’s to control the 10 groups via the serial output of one additional arduino.
The protocol I use right now for 64 leds (4 TLC 5940’s) is to output the 64 values of each led as one string at once. This is going to be a string of 10x9x3 (270) values. These values are sent by Max/MSP. Right now the serial speed is set at 115200. Is this going to be a problem? I noticed that at 115200 Max/MSP is not able to do 20 fps anymore. I tried higher serial baud speed settings but they didn’t work. I searched on the internet and they were talking about setting a register could make speeds above 115200 available. Has anybody done this before?
If you guys have any other suggestions, please let me know.

update: I’ve just tried to send 256 values at once to the arduino via max and that doesn;t really go that well. I guess it’s because I use an ASCII string. I think there are 2(?) solutions? 1. higher speed than 115200 2. other format of the data. Got any tips to get this working properly?